23 Responses to “Former UK drug czar calls banning marijuana and psychedelics "the worst case of scientific censorship since the Catholic Church banned the works of Copernicus and Galileo"”

1. kiptw says:

Every scientist in the world, plus the Pope, could come out for it, and nothing would change.

Yeah, I’m a pessimist. If only there was an easy way to cheer up a bit.

2. “At one point, consciousness-altering devices like the microscope and telescope were criminalized for exactly the same
    reasons that psychedelic plants were banned in later years.”  Doctor Leary.

3. JamesNSC says:

I, for one, am sick to death of FORMER-(insert title where you could make a difference) issuing statements like this. Where was this sentiment when a difference could have been made?

• carlogesualdodivenosa says:

That’s basically how he became a FORMER-.

• niktemadur says:

David Nutt has been posted about numerous times here on Boing Boing over the years.  When he was fired from his post because of his progressive take on marijuana and psychedelics, a doozy of a headline made the rounds:  “Nutt Sacked”.  So he’s been consistent on the issue.

• James says:

He did say something while holding the office. That’s why he is out of the job. If you wonder why they wait till they are “formers” before they speak out well now you know. Taking a anti drug war stance is career suicide in criminal justice.

• JamesNSC says:

I don’t really
        wonder why – I just don’t like it. It sits in my melon about the same way as
        people who say “it is what it is” when faced with something they
        don’t like or agree with, but also won’t commit to any sort of action to alter
        it when they have the ability to do so. (even if they can’t change it – silence is a form of consent. So even if you can’t directly impact it, saying nothing is just as bad, if not worse.)
        Anyone who makes a living by actively supporting a
        war on personal freedom and then sees the proverbial light after they leave
        office isn’t really helping, and – at best – is just plain disingenuous.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Anyone who makes a living by actively supporting a war on personal freedom and then sees the proverbial light after they leave office isn’t really helping, and – at best – is just plain disingenuous.

Do you still have no idea what actually happened?

• JamesNSC says:

I wasn’t referring to David Nutt regarding what you quoted, but those I mentioned earlier, who – admittedly – could have done something if they were more like Nutt. IE: The vast majority over at LEAP.

4. joe k. says:

“Former UK Drug Czar…”

Guess who just got turned on to psychedelics…

5. teapot says:

Psychedelics, weed and (arguably) MDMA are things that should be available to people like alcohol is.

I’ve done PLENTY of common psychedelics and a few obscure ones and they were universally awesome. They’re not for the fragile minded (for them I’d recommend MDMA) but they’re completely not the boogeyman popular culture would have you believe – even at high doses.

A fellow psychonaut and I took 5g each of dried shrooms a week ago and went to a party. Suffice it to say I was likely a terrible conversationalist, but I ended up drinking nothing but water (cause it’s all I felt like). While many of the other party-goers left in taxis, covered in their own vomit, my friend and I walked home enjoying the carnival of colours.

• phuzz says:

A friend of mine is doing research feeding psychedelics to rats, and after since seeing the fun her rats are having (swimming in the sawdust in their cages), she’s decided to try shrooms herself.

• teapot says:

I’m just gonna put this here and tell you that there are places online that will send you a print for the cost of postage.

Be responsible.

• marilove says:

I’m to the point with shrooms that I don’t get nervous before ingestion any more.  Just excited.  Last time there was a big cat-sized crab hanging out with me in my blanket forest and it was wonderful.

I’m not even sure how people “lose” themselves — I’ve never once forgotten that I ate a hallucinogenic, and that my perception of the world was therefore changed.  Even with part of me in another world, my feet are always firmly planted in reality.

• teapot says:

I’ve never once forgotten that I ate a hallucinogenic

This. I have been to places where I felt close to that point, but it would take a serious dose of acid to get you to a point of complete delirium. My max to date is 4 tabs, but that measure is pretty irrelevant since strength varies significantly across batches.

I like how you’re always commenting in these posts. One day I will visit the US again and at that time I hope to drop out with you and the other psychonaut Boingers.

• marilove says:

I have … a big soft spot for fungus. It’s one of the few things that will nearly kill my anxiety. :)

6. Kimmo says:

It deserves bold and caps:

THE WORST CASE OF SCIENTIFIC CENSORSHIP SINCE THE CATHOLIC CHURCH BANNED THE WORKS OF COPERNICUS AND GALILEO

And a screaming FUCK YEAH and a fist in the air.

And that’s just for the scientific angle. Who’s going to mention the social, philosophical, political, artistic, etc angles?

7. miasm says:

The problem I foresee is the clichéd use of statistics to quickly undermine any changes to the law that may actually come to fruition.
    A redefinition of the law pertaining to psychedelics will almost certainly be accompanied (or at least, shortly followed) by a redefinition of the meaning of Mental Health.
    New statistics are still technically worse than damned lies.