A doctor who treats sick scientists — wherever they may be

If a paleontologist breaks her leg three days' travel from the nearest hospital, what happens? One thing she might do is call Matt Lewin — a doctor who specializes in treating scientists who get sick or injured in the field. He's the subject of a profile in the latest issue of Discover magazine. Sadly, the full story is only available in print, but it's a fascinating topic and a job I'd never really given much thought to before, so I wanted to share it.

Notable Replies

  1. I want the TV series NOW! "Flying Doctor"; each week our hero/ine parachutes in to a different medical emergency somewhere in the world. Science, politics, espionage, detection and the paranormal (from Season 3 on wards when the mundane plots have been exhausted) combine with sexy scientist and medical drama for the ultimate day time TV thrill.

  2. I bet he's 8 feet tall and looks like this:

Continue the discussion bbs.boingboing.net

5 more replies