In this delightful interview, Joris Peels from Shapeways (a 3D printing startup) interviews Bre Pettis from Makerbot, another 3D printer startup -- and the two have a fine time:
What was the first thing you 3D printed?
A shot glass. Promptly filled with a deadly Scandinavian concoction.
Your favorite thing so far?
Everyday I wake up and check out what's new on Thingiverse and I'm never let down. Lately there has been a trend to make tools to do other things with a MakerBot like the MicroLathe. When folks are using the tools we design to make other tools to make other things it gets me excited. We make things that make things that people use to make things that make other things that make things. Try saying that 3 times fast.
(via Beyond the Beyond)
- Shapeways 3D printing by Internet: 500 free beta signups - Boing Boing
- 3D printer jargon in action Boing Boing
- 3D-printed version of the cover illo from Makers Boing Boing
- 3D-printed math and science sculptures Boing Boing
- Discontinued desktop 3D printers on the cheap Boing Boing
- Successful marriage proposal via 3D-printed ring - Boing Boing
- Business-card that shoots pennies Boing Boing