“A day of legal reckoning is drawing closer” for “hot yoga” profiteer Bikram Choudhury, reports the New York Times.
The self-styled guru faces no fewer than six civil lawsuits from women who accuse him of rape or assault.
The most recent was filed on Feb. 13 by a Canadian yogi, Jill Lawler, who said she was raped by Mr. Choudhury during a teacher-training in the spring of 2010. This month, a Los Angeles judge cleared away several challenges to a lawsuit from a former student who said Mr. Choudhury raped her during another 2010 teacher-training. The first complaint was filed two years ago. As more surfaced, and more women spoke publicly about accusations of assault and harassment, their accounts have created fissures in the close-knit world of yoga students and teachers who have spent thousands of dollars to study with Mr. Choudhury; opened studios bearing his name; and found strength, flexibility and health in his formula of 26 yoga postures in a sweltering room.
Schism Emerges in Bikram Yoga Empire Amid Claims of Rape and Assault [nytimes.com]
Previously on Boing Boing:
• New twist in Bikram Yoga copyright feuds
• Bikram "Yoga" Choudhury accused of rape, sexual harassment
• Bikram Choudhury, yoga's biggest asshole, squares off for a copyright showdown
• Open Source Yoga advocates fight "Atom Bomb Balls" Bikram
• Hot, sweaty, scandalous: Bikram yoga copyright clash
Latest update blurs ads vs. search results line
• Hoan Ton-That, founder of facial recognition tech firm Clearview AI, previously connected to Trump world figures and online hate extremists, reports Buzzfeed News • Chuck Johnson, Mike Cernovich, and Rudy Giuliani are among the linked figures named in Buzzfeed report • NYPD disputes facial recognition firm Clearview AI’s claim that it identified a terrorism […]
Twitter, where Donald Trump posted 123 bonkers tweets today and Nazis and psyops bots roam free, is rolling out a pop-up feature that lets users add an emoji reaction to a Direct Message, kind of like a similar feature that exists in iOS iMessage. So fancy!
Traditional headphones are overrated, especially now that this HumBird Bone-Conducting Speaker allows you to enjoy a rich and completely unique listening experience depending on where you place it. A must-have item for true audiophiles looking to switch up their usual listening routine, this compact speaker uses cutting-edge bone conduction technology in order to deliver a […]
You don’t need to be a professional chef in order to enjoy a great set of knives in your kitchen, yet far too many would-be culinary pros settle for subpar blades that lose their edge after a few months. This Schmidt Brothers® Cutlery Carbon 6 7-Pc Knife Block Set will bring a new level of […]
Now that the latest iPhones have embraced the wireless charging revolution, there’s really no excuse for not having a wireless charger of your own. But even the best wireless chargers don’t allow users to use their phones while they’re being powered up. This Suction Powered Wireless Charger breaks that rule by allowing you to comfortably […]