People often do things that make them miserable. CPG Grey presents seven of the most effective misery makers:
- Stay still - don't go outside, don't exercise.
- Screw with your sleep - vary your bedtime and sleep in a day or two a week. Never sleep or wake up at the same time.
- Maximize your screentime - let the screen keep you awake. Let a screen be the first thing you look at when you wake up.
- Use your screen to stoke your negative emotions - feed your anxiety and anger about things over which you have no control.
- Set v.a.p.i.d. goals - vague, amorphous, pie-in-the-sky, irrelevant, delayed. Do not set s.m.a.r.t. goals, which are specific, measurable, actionable, (goals for which you are) responsible, time-bounded.
- Pursue happiness directly - Expect that unending bliss is possible.
- Follow your instincts - do what makes you immediately happy even when you know it will make you sadder in the long run.
The video is based on Randy Paterson's book, How to Be Miserable: 40 Strategies You Already Use.
Emma Byrne, a science writer and artificial intelligence researcher, has just published a new book called Swearing is Good for You: The Amazing Science of Bad Language and it sounds fucking great. “If you ask people what they think about swearing, they tend to insist that it diminishes the speaker’s credibility and persuasiveness—-especially if the […]
While the typical answer is 33 beats per minute, musician Adam Neely’s answer morphs into a great primer on the “perceptual present,” a concept widely discussed in both the philosophy of music and of consciousness.
People have a tendency towards “illusory superiority,” that is, they imagine themselves to be better than others. Interestingly, the more incompetent you are, the more superior you feel. It comes down to the fact that people who are bad at something “lack the very expertise needed to recognize how badly they’re doing.” This phenomenon is […]
Python is one of the most popular and versatile programming languages used by developers today, making it an ideal first choice for those looking to kickstart a career in programming. While you could go back to school or sign up for a pricey coding bootcamp, you can learn the essentials of coding with Python at […]
Going back to school isn’t necessarily an option for everyone. Between the time commitments and steep tuition rates, there are obstacles aplenty as far as furthering education is concerned. However, that’s not to say it’s impossible to learn new skills. Excel with Business lets users access thousands of hours of online learning in Microsoft, business, technology, […]
More often than not, you won’t see an accident coming, which means it pays to be proactive and ensure you have the right tools on-hand before you need them. Whether you find yourself in the middle of a power outage or having car trouble at night, you can make sure you’re still capable of navigating […]