Want a quick cultural glimpse of the current vibe in SF Bay Area? Take a peek at the contents of this artsy souvenir vending machine my pal Jessica Nguyen spotted at the Oakland Airport.
Whoever curated this thing really has their finger on the pulse of the Bay Area. Though, it is a little like playing a game of "Find the precious hipster marketing buzzwords."
I spy (from top to bottom, left to right):
- MOO, dog treats made from Five Dot Ranch's grass-fed beef ($12 plus tax)
- An eco-friendly embroidered kitchen towel made from hemp depicting the state of California and its state flower: poppies ($24 plus tax)
- A "super-warm cuffed beanie" by local retail favorite Oaklandish ($18 plus tax)
- Peanut butter & Jelly granola by San Francisco-based small batch granola brand, Garrett's ($2.75 plus tax)
- Ready-to-hang wall art made from upcycled 1950s fence wood and a reclaimed California license plate ($15 plus tax)
(And, the winner is... )
- A bag of nut-free, soy-free AND gluten-free "100% organic bone broth-infused kale chips" ($6.50 plus tax)
The company behind the this little beauty is called souveNEAR and they've got machines in Kansas City and in San Francisco, as well as in Oakland.
The queen of polka dots, the a-mazing Yayoi Kusama, is making her mark on the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade with a three-story-tall balloon float. “Love Flies Up to the Sky” will be included as part of the Blue Sky Gallery, the parade’s contemporary art series started in 2005. Previous artists have included Tim Burton, KAWS, […]
For this funny advertisement, CleanMyMac dressed up a fellow as a public pile of trash and when people dropped their litter on his back, he sprung up to surprise them.
The Decoy Effect is a simple but powerful trick that marketers use to influence you to buy something that is bigger or more expensive than you need or want. I fall for this every time I go to the movies and think I’m going to buy the medium popcorn but end up getting the large […]
Sous vide cooking: It sounds fancy, but it’s actually one of the easiest and most reliable ways to cook. It’s the reason why many restaurants are able to put out delicious dishes with a consistent flavor. All you need is the right equipment, and that hasn’t always been available to those outside the resto crowd. […]
The more you use your computer, the more it becomes possible for others to use it too. Where there are anti-virus systems, there are hackers looking for a way to get around them. That’s why it’s important to get software that doesn’t just passively scout for viruses in the background. The folks behind GlassWire have […]
Knowledge is power. It’s a cliché, but sometimes things turn into a cliché because they’re true. If you’re making your way through the world of business and entrepreneurship, it only makes sense to read about the insights of people who have climbed that ladder before you. Trouble is, the modern workday doesn’t leave a lot […]