Distillery accidentally sold gin bottles filled with hand sanitizer

Like many boozemakers, Apollo Bay Distillery in Victoria, Australia pivoted their production from alcoholic beverages to hand sanitizer when COVID-19 hit. Unfortunately though, nine bottles of their SS Casino Gin were sold that contained hand sanitizer as opposed to the alcoholic drink. The company announced a recall and so far six of the bottles have been returned.

According to the company's notice, "Consumption of the product may have side effects including nausea, headaches, dizziness, bloating, vomiting, thirst and diarrhea."

Doesn't gin have those same side effects though? Anyway, here's more from ABC News:

The bottles were all sold through the Great Ocean Road Brewhouse bottleshop.

A spokesman for the Apollo Bay Distillery said one woman had reported feeling nauseous after consuming the hand sanitiser, but had since recovered.

"The bottles were incorrectly labelled and had no seal," the spokesman said.

"We understand they are not toxic.