Musician requests truly badass bone conduction hearing aid

7 Responses to “Musician requests truly badass bone conduction hearing aid”

Wow. A tooth anchored BC hearing aid? Of course, repeated vibration might affect the root of the tooth, but still!

I’m an audiologist, and I can comment a bit on the reason why we’ve had so few updates to the BC aids. It’s the same reason we’ve had few updates to CROS aids (aids that transfer sound from the deafened side of the head to the hearing ear); there’s little market for it, so little payback on the cost of research/ redesign. Also, in theory, if the loss is conductive, all you need to do is overcome the transmission issue to get back to relatively normal function. But when there are options like noise control, voice detection, and directionality, wouldn’t you kind of like those too?

Absent or damaged ear canals aren’t so very uncommon; there is a need for good BC aids, and a tech savvy youth wants the option of plugging their iPod/cell/computer in for transmission,and maybe even having a bit of style too. Phonak, Siemens, Oticon, GN Resound, are you guys listening?

2. GWEN HARRIS says:

I SEE YOU HAVE A BONE CONDUCTION HEARING AID ON THIS PAGE I HAVE SEARCHED EVERY WHERE TRYING TO FIND THE NAME AND MODEL OF THIS HEARING AID FOR THE LAST MONTH. IF YOU KNOW THE NAME AND MODEL OF THIS HEARING AID I SURE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IT IS. OR WHO SELL THIS SAME EXACT MAKE AND MODEL. PLEASE SEND ME THE INFO ASAP. I WOULD DEEPLY HONORED. I WILL BE LOOKING FOR A ANSWER SOON.

1/08/09

I have single sided deafness and have looked into various things. the best i have seen so far is BAHA, however an inventor in Israel seems to be coming up with something better – a hearing aid in a tooth, that transmits via bone conduction to the ear. It does sound like the stuff of sci-fi i agree, but the science works.

The device is still in development, and the contact person is eyal aharon at info@audiodent.com. their website is under construction http://www.audident.com and there is no release date yet. however, i would suggest you write to him directly to motivate him into finishing the product faster.

Matthew.

This headband looks great to me. I have been looking for something similar in the US market, but now luck.
    The Bruckhoff company has also reintroduced eyeglass hearing aids.
    Unfortunately, they don’t have distribution in the US.

Would a regular bone conduction headset work as a replacement hearing aid setup?

For example, Motorola makes headsets for 2-way radios such as:

Basic Model RMN4049
    Rugged Model RMN5049

Link to the above, if it posts correctly:

You would either need to adapt the headset plug to the audio amplifer you now use, or find a powered mic that would work with these headsets.

It does not make the whole rig any smaller or less noticable, as a hearing aid would do, but it may be an update to the much older style headset.

I’m just wondering if this is equivalent to the older style transducer?

I also have treacher collins, and I am looking around to see if there is an upgrade to my current BC aid (an Oticon), which is now around 7 years old.

While I understand that the market is limited, it does upset me that so little advances have been made in the technology, as I have basically been wearing the same type of device my entire life. I am aware of the BAHA, but I am hesitant to take the surgical route when (hopefully) the technology may advance and leave me with an outdated aid implanted in my skull.

I have had the headband bone conduction hearing aid sine I was three months old(Now 28). I just had a surgery to get the first programmable BAHA hearing aid. They put a tiny screw into my skull behind my ear. Once that heals the hearing aid which is about the size of the vibrating piece on headband will just snap onto it. It will allow me to hear better because it will bypass the skin AND ITS PROGRAMMABLE!! I recommend to everyone that wears this ancient hearing aid to look into this new procedure. I ran into a big problem earlier this year trying to get the old one repaired. Apparantly it is so old Starkey doesn’t repair them anymore so you would have to buy a brand new one!! That’s ridiculous. Anyway, just wanted to share. I’m super excited!