Alaska Airlines will soon offer wireless internet

6 Responses to “Alaska Airlines will soon offer wireless internet”

So now that the airlines can make money off of it, leaving your laptop wi-fi on in-flight is suddenly safe?

What’s next – will they rent “approved” wireless mice?

Yeah, but I still won’t fly Alaska Airlines because of the stupid “prayer cards” they hand out.

3. Wil Wheaton says:

I feel stupid for wondering about this, but I’m sure someone reading Boingboing can enlighten me: if it’s so deadly dangerous for us to have cell phones turned on while we fly, and if I have to turn off the wireless functionality on my PSP or NintendoDS while I fly, how exactly can we use wireless internet connections on our laptops?

Could it be that not letting us use electronic devices is just a bunch of FUD? Or is the risk as real as 3.1 ounces of deadly shampoo?

4. Glenn Fleishman says:

“the latest US carrier to promise in-flight wireless internet to customers”: Turns out that AP was a bit more positive than later coverage. Alaska is equipping just one plane for its test, after which it could choose to equip the entire fleet.

Still.

Alaska also did a trial a few years ago of a portable entertainment player that could show five hours of movies, play audio, etc., that would be handheld and available for rental on flights. The brilliant idea was that no plane seatbacks needed to be retrofit.

The idea was a good one, but just didn’t take off in trials, I’m guessing.

5. Bloo says:

I’ve heard that Ted Stevens is an investor in Row 44 and that Row 44′s technology involves a very long Internet tube connecting the plane to the ground over the entire flight path, with special “gold-level” service when flying to the island served by the Bridge to Nowhere.

6. Xeni Jardin says:

@Bloo, good point. Let’s also hope the broadband frequency is “wide stance.”