Educational TV parody: Look Around You

22 Responses to “Educational TV parody: Look Around You”

1. Simon Greenwood says:

The DVD is an absolute joy – loads of extra features that would mean nothing unless you were ever off ill from school in the UK in the late 1970s. The format is Programmes for Schools and Colleges which were shown by both the BBC and ITV in the morning (now on BBC2 and Channel 4). There is a whole section of CEEFAX, the text information system that used to take up a fair part of daytime programming, and an option to turn off the dialogue, leaving only the lovely synth soundtrack. Look up the ‘module’ for Music and revel in the creation of ‘Little Mouse’ by Jack Morgan BSc (Hons). The programme’s brown decored website is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/lookaroundyou/ .

2. dculberson says:

Oh dear god my life has improved immeasurably.

3. CountD says:

I preferred season 1 (which was the more uniform school education parody), though my favorite moment came from the food episode of the second season. The “Slimby scariest picture possible” has been my default user picture/avatar for every website for the past year or so.

Also, Imhotep is invisible.

4. nick says:

“ha! i submitted this to you last year and it never got posted. sad!”

Just for the record, the Nick who posted the above is not me. (There are two Nicks now, I guess.)

BTW: where have the post numbers gone?

5. nick says:

Oops. There they are (the post numbers). My bad.

6. phasor3000 says:

“Using a hand drill, a small hole is formed at the base of Nigel’s skull…”

Shades of Bloodsucking Freaks!

Great retro-synth soundtrack, too.

7. maryr says:

A friend introduced me to these this spring. The episode on water is a favorite of mine, mainly for the experimenter repeatedly reaching in to the boiling water and subsequent hand makeup.

8. stinkyweezleteet says:

More specifically, this is a parody of the popular BBC show ‘Tomorrows World’, staple Thursday night viewing in the 80′s…

9. maryr says:

PS: Sorry, should have included link in my previous post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LqYBncyKpM

10. changescat says:

My favourite has got to be the one on maths–that is, Mathmatical Anti-Telharsic Septomin Harfatum.

Loved the water one too…

11. stinkyweezleteet says:

Correction to my previous post, the second series is the parody I was thinking of. The first series was much more general.

12. nick says:

ha! i submitted this to you last year and it never got posted. sad!

13. Mark Frauenfelder says:

Sorry for missing it, Nick. I really try to go through all the submissions, but sometimes I fall behind. Please don’t become discouraged.

14. James Cx says:

If series one is by far funnier than series two and series two is at most worth a few chuckles, what is the height of Imhotep?

15. Stefan Jones says:

The Look Around You parodies manage to be funny even if you’ve never seen the original program. Uh, programmes.

16. Ian Holmes says:

Nick @7: heh… I mentioned “Look Around You” in the comments thread to Cory’s IT Crowd post yesterday… but I think you trumped me with your one-year-old scoop…

Mark @8: now let’s see how long it takes you guys to discover “The Mighty Boosh”. Or “The Day Today”. Or “Snuff Box”, “Jam”, “Spaced” … ;-)

17. Absent says:

The episode with “Synthesizer Patel” was my favourite.

18. cha0tic says:

They are works of Genius. When I saw my first episode I flashed back to being at school in the 70′s. My favourite is ‘music’ ( http://tinyurl.com/39ae7m ) because of the ‘boite diabolique’ & the 19 forbidden notes.

19. Silva says:

This stuff is excelent. I had written a text about deep sea fishes I’ve meant to “webisode” for months, and this have given me the inspiration I needed.

20. Angstrom says:

Factoids :
    Peter Serafinowicz, of Look Around You has a new series starting on BBC on Thursday.
    Or you can watch it now online, via this weird myspace tie-in. Ugh.

I have one hair.

21. Kurt McAllister says:

I’ve always loved these, ever since my friend introduced them to me, along with Darkplace and Spaced. And the fact that that was Edgar Wright with the second experiment made me happy.