German edition of Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom is also CC licensed!

12 Responses to “German edition of Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom is also CC licensed!”

1. kaosdevice says:

When it is translated into Pig Latin then, and only then, will I be impressed.

2. Eduardo Padoan says:

When it is translated into Pig Latin then, and only then, will I be impressed.
    Your wish is an order:

3. LaHaine says:

I can’t stand it when an English title is translated into another English title. This happens quite often with foreign movies and books.

4. Nils says:

Lahaine is right, but as Backup is widely used in German, this is much less ridiculous than most translated movie titles.

5. Aaron says:

Same here.

(Ok, I actually can’t stand re-titling in general, but that’s for another rant…)

But, hey, it could be worse.

When the White Wolf roleplaying game “Exalted” was translated into german, they retitled it as “Die Hohen”, which technically means “the high ones” or “the ones up high” but sounds sooooooo stupid. I don’t have any proof of course, but I’ve long suspected that this pretty much killed the german line.

So, well, it really could be worse… ^_^

Aaron

6. LaHaine says:

@Philipp Lenssen: Another example is the movie Antitrust, that was translated as Startup.

7. Peterus says:

Cory do you have any evedience on how does CC affect your book sales?
    (I’d be great ammunition against copyright supporters – creative individual who just don’t want copyright protection… and makes money without it.)

8. Philipp Lenssen says:

I’m late to the party, but also wanted to comment how I think it’s funny & slightly silly that one English title is “translated” into another English title.

“Miss Congeniality” was transformed into the apparently-dumbed-down English “Miss Undercover” here :)

There’s many more cases of these, does someone have a list?

The trend in general is to not translate e.g. movie titles in the first place. “Star Wars” was “Krieg der Sterne” (literally: “War of Stars”!) in Germany during the original trilogy, but is now just “Star Wars” for the follow-up trilogy (parts 1-3).

9. Peterus says:

Thank’s a lot for posting this link.
    It’s just what the doctor ordered :).

10. Clif Marsiglio says:

Peterus — I wonder how much the CC impacts these sales vs. the fact that there is a built in audience of ‘copyfighters’ that buy the works regardless of the quality of the work?

I can safely say I bought two of Cory’s books because of this. At the same time, neither were my cup of tea (of which I’m not commenting on the quality because I’ve been a firm believer that art should not appeal to everyone or it wouldn’t be considered art).

Cory — thanks for posting the Locus link…it was informative (even if a bit one sided!)

11. Florian says:

I just downloaded the German PDF from Random House’s Website. It’s great news that a German publisher as big as Heyne does something like this. But, Cory, is there a reason the CC license isn’t mentioned in the book? (Well, it isn’t in the PDF…)