Drew Carey on medical marijuana

12 Responses to “Drew Carey on medical marijuana”

1. Kyle Armbruster says:

Indeed. The ban on hemp is sick and twisted, if for no other reason than you can make much higher-quality, cheaper, more renewable, less environmentally-damaging paper with it. We’ve gotten so used to the idea that paper = deforestation when actually it doesn’t have to be so. It drives me crazy. We have books from fast upon 1000 years ago that are still readable today, and my 1960s dictionary I keep around for kicks is starting to have pages crack and fall off. If anything, wood-pulp-based paper should be banned.

2. mweisman says:

Really looking forward to seeing this.

I had no idea how useful marijuana could be until I had cancer at age 20. At first I avoided it, as I was trying to go to school full time during treatment, but eventually it got the point where I would wake up with every muscle in my body in pain, and the pills the doctor gave me stopped me from vomiting, but did nothing about the nausea; my stomach would do back flips every time I tried to eat. Smoking just a tiny amount of marijuana (I live in Canada were medicinal marijuana is legal nation wide) would make my muscles relax and the nausea disappear. I was shocked at how well it worked.

If any of my relatives in the States were to be diagnosed with cancer, I would not hesitate to encourage them to try it. Sure you’re a bit stoned, but would you rather be slightly stoned every now and then and able to live a somewhat normal life during treatment, or spend the whole time in bed, in too much pain to do anything?

3. mscot says:

I’m surprised Drew Carey is doing this. Isn’t he a staunch republican?

4. mscot says:

A bit of research shows he’s more of a libertarian. Go wikipedia!

5. mrfitz says:

It would be nice to see the presidential candidates address this issue, and even nicer if some of them supported legalization.

6. mscot says:

Well, we know Mit Romney doesn’t. :\

7. Bottlekid says:

It seems silly that you can get a script for Oxycontin if you need it, but not a drug as mild as Marijuana. I guess the government hasn’t got a piece of that business yet.

8. Michelle says:

I am beyond words! THANK YOU DREW!! I have had a brain tumor, daily migraines and epilepsy. Just last week after 7 years of pain and at least 30 different meds I was able to obtain medical marijuna. This means so damn much to us who need this natural herb to at least live a somewhat pain free life.
    Drew you are my hero! Thank you speaking out for us that ont have a voice!!

9. Kyle Armbruster says:

Hmmm… Here’s the thing about medical marijuana:

There is loads and loads of evidence that THC helps people out A LOT with such problems as are described here. And does so without much, if any, damage to the body. It’s a wonder drug. Sure it makes you a bit soft around the edges, but that effect, too, has never been shown to cause long-term problems.

So it’s insane that it’s not more widely available.

However:

The movement itself has precious few real sufferers, and mostly a sea of hippies with “back problems” who want to buy some really good bud and not get in trouble. This hurts the movement, because many people–myself included–don’t like hippies. And here’s a big patchouli-smelling pile of them, lying through their teeth.

Now, that said, actually, the very idea that marijuana is illegal for any reason is bewildering. It’s safe, has some medicinal benefits, and people like it–and not just hippies, either. Why we don’t just legalize it across the US and stop sending peaceful college kids–hippies or no–to court or even jail for something so completely victimless is utterly beyond me.

But if the legalization movement is going to gain more ground, I think it’s going to have to take another tack. Stop presenting it solely as medicine. Acknowledge that it is an herb that has medicinal AND recreational uses. Hell, most of the country has at least tried it, and most of those people liked it (not me, though–ick). Be honest.

I’m worried that this central dishonesty will stop most actually sick people from being able to get ahold of this wonder drug.

10. i_r_beej says:

I think another very important point is that the US Federal Government classifies ALL marajuana plants (of which only ONE produces enough THC to deliver a “high”) as the worst types of controlled drugs.

So– next time you eat anything with hemp seeds, wear anything made from hemp… that hemp was IMPORTED into the US from Canada.

Meanwhile alcohol seems to be okay, despite the fact that overconsumption makes one an a$$hole. Dope just makes one want to sit around and chill eating pizza.

Stupid Feds.

11. tetron says:

Few things anger and frustrate me about our government today than the war on drugs, especially the war on cannabis. It is a complete failure of policy built on demagoguery, propaganda and outright lies. Much of the poisonous rhetoric and routine constitutional violations we have today in the war on terror was pioneered by the war on drugs.

Unfortunately, elected officials for the most part are too chickenshit to touch drug policy issues in general with a ten foot pole, unless it’s to ratchet up already insane mandatory minimum sentences for minor drug crimes. Most progress that has been made (such as the California system) happened through public referendums. Inexplicably, even when there is demonstrated widespread support through such efforts, politicians refused to legislate rational policy where marijuana is concerned.

Having campaigned for drug policy reform as part of a campus-based drug policy reform organization, I do have to agree with Kyle that the great majority of people working for marijuana legalization are motivated simply by the desire to enjoy a good smoke without being hassled by the police. Medical marijuana is an attempt to get the camel’s nose into the tent and force a dialog that should lead to relaxation of marijuana laws and ultimately decriminalization and legalization. The reasoning, of course, is to try and shame politicians into acting by presenting the stark choice of a cancer patient being denied a medicine that eases their suffering.

Of course, most politicians have no shame.

12. deusdiabolus says:

I wholeheartedly agree that the ban on marijuana, medical or otherwise, is a sin and a crime against the people of America.

That being said…I can’t help but wonder if this is going to be Drew Carey’s pet cause, whereas Bob Barker’s was the Humane Society. And if so…how will this affect his tenure at The Price Is Right, if at all?