Neil Gaiman helps fan propose to girlfriend through book inscription

22 Responses to “Neil Gaiman helps fan propose to girlfriend through book inscription”

1. Zozz says:

One other reason he was in the Philippines was to sponsor a writing contest, while many people thought the bookstore behind the event merely paid him to come over (for publicity), we were all pleasantly surprised when it was revealed that Mr. Gaiman was very much involved in creating the Philippine Graphic/Fiction Awards (now in its second year). He put up the money for the prizes and helped judge the entries, and even stood in the rain for a couple of hours in front of thousands of fans during the awards night.

2. Muse says:

This just made my day.

3. anthropomorphictoast says:

Just when you thought Gaiman couldn’t rock any harder he up and does something awesomely awesome like this.

4. Halloween Jack says:

Gaiman makes up for quite a few butthead comics pros. Not all of them, because he’s (allegedly) only human.

5. neilbe says:

I can completely understand Maui’s reaction. Whenever I’m lucky enough to be at one of his signings I can never string a sentence together let alone read…

6. Myrcurial says:

Now that… that is worthy of praise.

I shall go and buy more Gaiman today in response. Good deeds *are* rewarded.

7. didipusrex says:

Hey Cory, thanks for picking up the story I sent in (you must have gotten several submissions on this). The Jason-Maui proposal’s been going around teh Philippine Internets for a bit. Happy holidays!

8. simplehuman says:

What I really love is you can see just how much of a gentleman Neil Gaiman is to his fans. He seems utterly delighted by the whole thing. I’ve been to a couple of his signings over the years and he’s always so giving and gracious.

9. Crash says:

#1, Simplehuman: I’d like to heartily second, third, fourth, and n that. I’ve been to many Gaiman book signings and am always impressed by how genuinely sweet he is at them, even when totally jet-lagged and exhausted after reading the entirety of Coraline. This is only one incident in many that demonstrate what a sincere force for good he is in the SFF community.

10. cszostek says:

I’ve never had the pleasure to meet the man, but Neil has got to be one of the most fan friendly author stars of our age. I read his journal allot and he is just, well, cuddly. His works always deliver and he is empathic to the fans. A true gent.

Congrats to the engaged, and tilt my hat to you sir Gaiman. I feel lucky to live in the time of your writings.

11. Tavie says:

This one makes me happy.

12. edgore says:

I have to say that not only am I impressed by Neil’s awesomeness to his fans, but also, that Morpheus sketch he did in the signing is freaking awesome! I think of him as a writer, but the sketch is a wonderful distillation of the character’s graphic essence! God, I hope that I can grow up to be Neil!

13. Schmorgluck says:

What to say? I think one of the best ways to evaluate famous people as persons is to examine what they do with their fame. In this respect, Neil Gaiman earns lots of kudos with his participation to this wonderful plot.
    An author isn’t subjected to the whim of his fans, but what kind of author would pass the opportunity to make such a georgeous story real?
    Talk about bringing magic to his fans, heh.

14. Cpt. Tim says:

fantastic.

15. help i cant comfirm my username themelonbread says:

Awwwwwwwwwwww….

16. JY Yang says:

Neil Gaiman is awesome, completely awesome. I met one of my current good friends for the first time at one of his signings– we’d run into each other online the week before and arranged to meet at the signing. When we told him the story he said, “I feel like I’m performing an important social function.”

Nothing as important as this, however!

17. Mark Gordon says:

This answers Tori’s question: Where’s Neil when you need him? When you need him, he’s there. This is so cool.

18. PopeRatzo says:

You’ve just exceeded my safe blood-sugar levels with this story.

If I go into a diabetic coma, I’m suing.

19. KilgoreTrout_XL says:

Very cool. I have issues 1-10 (1st ed.) of Sandman up in my bedroom at my parents house. I hope my mom didn’t throw them away or anything.

20. Mister N says:

Neil Gaiman is the best…wow..my jaw is still hanging by my chest area.

What a fine gentleman, writer and human being.

21. Porsupah says:

That’s perhaps the most wonderfully geeky romantic moment I’ve ever seen. ^_^ As the sage said, “several million points out of ten for style”.

22. KFont says:

I *heart* Neil Gaiman. And I hate using the word *heart* like that but for him, it applies.