Bruce Sterling's Kiosk: geniunely 21st century science fiction

8 Responses to “Bruce Sterling's Kiosk: geniunely 21st century science fiction”

1. Nix says:

I’m afraid I didn’t think very much of it. As is so often true of Sterling’s work, the *ideas* are great, but the *execution* makes me go `bleah’. The principal problem is that the narrative voice is *exactly the same* as that in countless other Sterling works, so I can’t read it without wondering why I’ve fallen into _Bicycle Repair Man_ yet again.

It really saps the characterization: I read this yesterday and already the character of Borislav has blurred in my memory into the protagonist of every single other near-future Sterling story. (I was hopeful that the `wounded veteran’ thing might indicate a change of narrative voice. No such luck.)

I still read Sterling’s stuff, but I’m very close to saying ‘no more’. He seems to be writing the same story over and over again: a sort of standardized characterization template into which you can plug new ideas to generate a new story.

2. craig1st says:

Clicking away to go read Kiosk now!

3. Jeff says:

Fabrikators and Fax machines…I’ll have to see if this new story has been copied yet and is free to read on some pirate site based in some place untouchable like Siberia.

4. Cory Doctorow says:

Um, why would they bother? It’s already on the web for free.

5. Stefan Jones says:

Good story.

I’m still not clear on why the European crowd bought Boris’ kiosk . . . market research?

6. Jeff says:

I was trying for irony, making a point about nano and replication of stuff…ideas and what not. I know it’s availalbe with a CC download, but that’s not Nearly as much fun as finding a pirated version!

7. yendi says:

It is a great story, but one small correction: It’s not new. F&SF published it (in print, at least) last January.

It’s great that they put it online, though, as it’s one of my favorite things I’ve read in F&SF in a long while.

8. MrPeach says:

I read this story some time ago, and I totally loved it.
    I think I’ll just have to read it again! ^_^