100 Futures from Nature: 100 short-short sf stories from Nature Magazine

8 Responses to “100 Futures from Nature: 100 short-short sf stories from Nature Magazine”

1. etherius says:

Very cool! I’ve never been able to afford a personal subscription to Nature, but when I was in grad school I always appreciated the fact that this most august of scientific journals was not above having a little fun. This collection will be a great way for the layman to get access to those stories without having to pay an arm and a leg for the privilege.

Oh, and Jennee: As a scientist myself (albeit not currently working in the field), I can confirm that we do write genres other than hard SF. My own current project is a mixture of cyberpunk and epic fantasy, and an increasing number of “hard” SF writers seem to be focusing more on things like character and plot. Besides, in 700 words I doubt you have much room for technical explanations. :)

2. sayeth says:

Shouldn’t you have some sort of full disclosure stating that you’re giving a positive review to a book in which you contributed a story?

3. Jeff says:

I see Stross has a piece in this collection. Good news. I’m not sure I like the very fast, drop the reader into an unknown universe method of shorts, though.

4. Cory Doctorow says:

Good point, Sayeth. Done.

5. stack says:

You know you’ve spent too much time on the internet when you your first thought is, “Isn’t that an iStockPhoto work?”

6. jennee says:

I like shorts, if they’re well done. I love trying to fill in the pieces. My favourite author (Roger Zelazny, in case anyone’s wondering) has awesome shorts with basically no background, but great nonetheless.

I’m curious about this anthology, though I’m not sure whether I’d like stories written by scientists, since hard SF is not my cup of tea at all.

7. A New Challenger says:

Ah, so it’s not pure coincidence that I immediately thought of “Printcrime” when I saw this post.

8. Certhas says:

What gives you the idea that working scientists would exclusively/predominantly write hard SF?