Verizon teaming up with P2P companies, Yale, to make file-sharing faster

16 Responses to “Verizon teaming up with P2P companies, Yale, to make file-sharing faster”

1. bardfinn says:

Which can also be read as “Verizon is teaming up with Yale to design P2P technology that stays inside their network, dramatically reducing the amount of money they have to pay to other networks for traffic across those networks, and building towards yet another walled garden scenario where they are the gatekeepers and can suppress P2P traffic that doesn’t play ball.”

2. Enochrewt says:

As long as this is an innocuous attempt, cool.

If Verizon is doing this to make things cheaper for themselves, who cares? If they don’t end up restricting people on networks that don’t “play ball” and just greatly prefer people that are on their own network, more power to them. But don’t do it at the cost of speed either.

3. zenhammond says:

Wy t plg yr ml tckt!

Bng Bng – Drctry f Wndrfl Crprt Spnsrshp!

S mch fr th fr c crm thry.

4. Susan Oliver says:

Zenhammond, scroll down a few more posts to see the entry slamming Verizon for censoring IMs. Happy?

5. Antinous says:

Zen (and that’s a steaming pile of irony) Hammond,

You have a long history of accusatory comments against the BBers. If you’re so offended, why are you here?

6. Songe says:

They’re finally getting it!

7. zenhammond says:

ntns,

Why m hr…hhh…bcs njy rdng Bng Bng. ls hv “lng hstry” f pntng tht t.

lk t rg. T hv th chnc t rg wth grt mnds lk th BBrs…wll thr s yr rsn why lk t tk shts. nvr m rlly tht mn bt t, bt y mst knw ths snc y r wll vrsd n th hstry f my cmmnts. Mst f th tm m gnrd, whch s fn wth m. My dvs t y s tht y shld gnr wht hv t sy r ntr nt th dscssn. Tryng t ttck my sr nm r my frmr psts s knd slly.

S lt m jst ndrstnd yr lgc, f y hv ny dsgrmnt wth Bng Bng t ll y shld jst g wy nd nvr vr cmmnt? thght th prps f th cmmnts ws t fstr dscssn, nt t prs hw grt Bng Bng s.

n ths cs, my snrky cmmnt ms t str p ngh dst t ctlly hr frm Bng Bng n hw thy fl bt tkng Vrzn’s mny.

nc gn, fr th rcrd, thnk Bng Bng s wsm.

Znhmmnd

ps: Zn hs mr mnngs thn “Zzn”.

8. Antinous says:

In this case, my snarky comment aims to stir up enough dust to actually hear from Boing Boing on how they feel about taking Verizon’s money.

Issues related to sponsorship and content have been discussed repeatedly. Tedious carping does not equal snark.

9. Takuan says:

Zenzen?

Taking shots is not “discussing”

10. zenhammond says:

Tkn,

m mng t str p dst t ths pnt. Nt n dscssn md yt. Ths hppns whn hr frm smbdy frm Bng Bng.

Znzn jynktt, bts n zn n m ds g…

11. Antinous says:

This happens when I hear from somebody from Boing Boing.

Yeah, I usually attack people on their blogs when I want to start a dialog with them. That works really well.

12. Agent 86 says:

I like it, but I want to see how they ran the numbers for

“Distributing an hourlong TV show in high definition using traditional delivery systems would cost the network about $1″

Also, will this tech make it easier for you to be identified/monitored by the **AA? I have no plans on making their life easier, especially if this new P2P is not helping make MY life easier.

13. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

Zen Hammond’s been skating on thin ice for some time now. He’s loud and boring, and he’s chiefly interested in harassing the boingers into paying attention to him.

No more. That’s quite enough.

14. KlokWerk says:

Pot calling kettle, come in kettle, over.

15. certron says:

I don’t always have downloads with nearby hosts to test this out, but there is a plugin for Azureus called Ono that attempts to ‘identify nearby peers and potentially accelerate downloads.’

I don’t know if I exactly trust this alliance between Yale and Verizon…

16. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

(*yawn*)

You just keep thinkin’, Klokwerk. That’s what you’re good at.