Well, it would appear that a 14 year old student decided to try it out. And took it to school. Where he was arrested. No way to know for sure if the student in question found the instructions through BB, but the timing is intriguing.
A school resource officer says the makeshift device was potentially capable of producing a 600-volt shock.Link
The student has been charged with possession of a dangerous weapon on school grounds, attempted assault and breach of peace.
Mark Frauenfelder is the founder of Boing Boing and the editor-in-chief of MAKE and Cool Tools. Twitter: @frauenfelder. His new book is Maker Dad: Lunch Box Guitars, Antigravity Jars, and 22 Other Incredibly Cool Father-Daughter DIY Projects