Home movie of contest-winning family vacation to Disneyland in 1956

10 Responses to “Home movie of contest-winning family vacation to Disneyland in 1956”

1. ploni says:

Absolutely beautiful! Dad was certainly a genius to produce this in 1956, update it in 1995, and upload it to archive.org.

Where are they now? How about a follow-up on the Barstow children? I’m curious to learn how this family fared in life.

2. BadKittyM says:

Oh, wow. Fabulously, spectacularly corny.

3. Dewight says:

Robbins Barstow is one of my heroes, and I’m honored to know him and his wife, Meg. He has gradually been uploading all of his “Barstow Travel Adventures,” but I’d also recommend his 1936 adventure drama “Tarzan and the Rocky Gorge,” which he made when he was 16. It is available online as well as on the DVD “Living Room Cinema, Films from Home Movie Day, Vol. 1,” with Robbins’s own commentary.

4. blazenhoff says:

It *is* pure gold. Thank you for sharing it with the world, Mr. Barstow.

5. MMG says:

Love this!! Your charming folksy voice and humor actually remind me of those film shorts Disney used to show on Sunday nights.

I loved seeing your children’s faces when entering Disneyland. They were completely and innocently in awe. Not one cynical sneer in the bunch!

Well, thanks for sharing this, Mr. Barstow. You seem like a wonderfully fun and adventurous father.

Hey, will you adopt me?

6. MMG says:

Also, I want to comment on the “corny” comment -

I’ll take sweet and “corny” over cynical, snarky and trying-too-hard to be cool anytime.

7. snowdenbecker says:

I, also, am among the many who are proud to call Robbins Barstow a friend. It should be noted that the Barstow family films are not only posted on the Internet Archive, they’re part of the Library of Congress’s collection of historic motion pictures. Robbins is an inspiration to many, having been a social activist, conservationist, and filmmaker for going on seven decades now–if we were all his kind of “corny,” the world would be a better place.

8. mharp says:

As others have stated this is pure gold. This is what filmmaking is all about. I think anyone interested in Americana or just pop culture and travel will find this to be a very sweet and enduring film.

9. buddy66 says:

‘Amazing how 50 years ago seems like a completely different country and people.’

There’s not that much difference, really. Now take it 50 years the other way, from ’56 to 1906, you’d have a helluva difference!

10. Peaceflag2007 says:

So much fun!!

Amazing how 50 years ago seems like a completely different country and people.

Here’s to nerdy dads around the world!