Shenzhen travelogue graphic novel

9 Responses to “Shenzhen travelogue graphic novel”

1. gnosis says:

This looks fantastic! However, Amazon is only showing “New & Used” copies for sale. Did this post cause it to sell out? :-) Is there any place else selling it?

2. phreatic says:

I’ve read his “Pyongyang: a Journey in North Korea” and really enjoyed it a lot. I’ll have to check this one out too.

3. mlc says:

This book is awesome, but the author’s Pyongyang is even more so — if only because the place itself is even more different from our experiences.

4. DGallardo says:

I’m totally fascinated by the rise of the new China. It’s been a decade since I’ve been there, but even then there were all sorts of incongruent novelties among older, dusty relics.

Walking through the streets of Datong, a grim coal-dust coated city in the north, with broad sidewalks lined with pool tables, I came across a shiny, new brewpub one afternoon, and went in, but no one there knew anything about the beers they brewed or how much they cost. So the staff just kept bringing me mugs of each of the different kinds to sample, as they sat with me and practiced their English and I my Chinese. At the end, they refused to accept any money from me.

(Someone once commented to the effect that every day in China, you’ll see something that just doesn’t make any sense, and for which you’ll never find an explanation.)

I recently read another book about one of the major players in the South, Lai Changxing, Inside the Red Mansion, by Oliver August. It sounds like Delisle’s book is similar in mixing personal narrative with keen observations of an economy racing ahead at light speed, with little regard for anyone or anything that stands in the way.

5. deepos says:

As many comments already point out

Pyongyang by Guy Delisle is an even more interesting book, mainly because we know so few about north korea.

His last one is regarding Myanmar, or birmany. It really worth reading.

Guy Delisle is one of my favorites writers, he really puts some humanity into his drawings. Read id, you wont regret it!

6. Ford MF says:

Ehh…I read his book on Pyongyang and mostly hated it. What the guy above says is correct, though. Because there’s NOTHING out there on North Korea, it becomes interesting by default. But the book is no damn good, and Delisle seems like kind of a prick.

7. ZippySpincycle says:

Just requested this and Pyongyang from the public library; James Fallows has also been doing terrific work on China in the Atlantic Monthly; I’ve just been re-reading his July 2007 article on Shenzhen.

8. blim8183 says:

Like the previous poster said, Shenzhen is good but Pyongyang is even better. Both are definitely worth reading.

9. cha0tic says:

If you’re interested in some aspects of life in China, via a westerners eyes. Maybe have a read of Beachhutmans blog It’s a kind of personal and domestic style of blogging, but an interesting insight into what it’s like in Beijing at the moment.