Massive National Geographic feature on 1964 NYC World's Fair

13 Responses to “Massive National Geographic feature on 1964 NYC World's Fair”

1. Stefan Jones says:

My mother took my sister and me. I was maybe four.

I remember the globe and the big pavilions (one of which had a giant stained-glass roof, now gone) and the elevators to the rotating restaurants. I recall being disappointed that we didn’t get to ride in them; the colorful cars seemed so futuristic!

We saw “It’s a small, small world,” which was incredibly hyped on kiddie TV at the time but kind of underwhelmed me . . . it was over so quick!

I got a felt pennant as a souvenir. Saw a phony robot that just kind of wobbled around and made buzzing noises.

2. fltndboat says:

I know the Netizens have experienced many mind blow moments, but the pre-net World’s fairs were a whole body immersion of our senses. One of the great things about them was the mock-up nature of most of the pavilions. After they ran their cycle the “stuff” of the show was a liability. In many cases it was ,”if you can take it, it’s yours.’ I built a catamaran using foam blocks that had served as facade. You can’t do that with virtual stuff.

3. Jordan M says:

Interestingly, the United States had its membership of the BIE (the people who sanction World’s Fairs) withdrawn in June 2001. So no more will come to the US.

I’ve never seen one (the last one in the US was in 1984 in New Orleans.

Honestly they sound kind of lame now and are called “Expos”.

4. Antinous says:

And there’s the Belgian Waffle, for those of us who attended, the true iconic symbol of the Fair.

5. Frank_in_Virginia says:

… “Been there, done that.” …

6. mdhatter says:

Birth control pills, bikinis, AND Beatles records?

Hmmmmm.

7. gpeare says:

Here’s what the Giant Uniroyal Tire looks like today: http://www.flickr.com/photos/94826312@N00/247533682/

8. Lilith999 says:

All alone at the ’64 World’s Fair
    Eighty dolls yelling “Small girl after all”
    Who was at the DuPont Pavilion?
    Why was the bench still warm? Who had been there?

9. antikewl says:

Ah the 1964 World’s Fair. Possibly the greatest World’s Fair I never attended.

This is a fantastic site for more info: http://www.nywf64.com/

10. Jimbo2K7 says:

You can still see the old relocated tire ferris wheel, now just a big ass tire, as you drive into Detroit from the airport.

It has become kind of a funky landmark now.

11. stephen eighmey says:

i attended this fair as a small child and it was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. i believe it had a great influence on my thoughts as i was growing up that the world could be a magical, positive, wonderful place.

now, of course, i’m aware of both the beauty and absolute horror mankind is capable of. but my sense of hope and optimism is just as strong, and this fair is one reason why.

12. sam rohn says:

I just shot a 360 degree panorama of the New York State Pavilion Tent of Tomorrow, online here -

sam

13. Uncle Geo says:

I was there too and it was unbelievably awesome for a kid of 10.

Not much left nowadays but the globe. Some of the exhibits were packed up and sent to Disney World. I know for sure the Pepsi Small World and the GE Home of Tomorrow in which the audience revolved around I think four stages depicting home technology through the ages. We took the kids to D-world a few years ago and they had just closed the home of tomorrow -those damn small world things were still singing though!

For me the fair took the Space Age off the TV and out of Nat Geo and made it real.