Jasmina Tešanović: My neighbor Radovan Karadzic (essay)

12 Responses to “Jasmina Tešanović: My neighbor Radovan Karadzic (essay)”

1. Jake0748 says:

Antinous – “Seems like the die is cast for Serbia to join the EU.”

Let’s hope so. I think I’ve mentioned before I spent much of ’06 & ’07 living in Belgrade. Belonging to the EU would make life so much easier and better for everyone there. The economy would improve with easier trade and travel. I believe a pretty good majority of Serbians (but not the vast majority), are in favor of joining Europe. Most people I met there were pretty pragmatic and would enjoy a simpler life. It seems to me that government that was formed just few weeks ago is the most pro-EU yet and this is why they finally put in the extra effort to get Karadic.

Bollocks – “serbs are the prime cause of all the wars in the ex-yu the last 20 years”.

I hope you understand that yes, Serbia does have a long history of intense nationalism and xenophobia, but that most people who live there are just people.

2. imipak says:

“Americans are the prime cause of all the wars in the middle east in the last 20 years. sure, the International Court of Justice [which the USA refuses to join, along with North Korea, Somalia ad China] is a farce, but that does not mean that everyone is to blame equally.”

“…until America faces its past and admits responsibility, they cannot be part of the world community. Most Americans I have talked to consider them self as victims of a UN / EU / environmentalist / godless-evoluntionist conspiracy against America.”

There are plenty of deeply unpleasant people in Serbia, and yes it was the Milosevic regime which bears the greatest responsibility for the wars. Perhaps it can even be said that the ex-Yujoslav army committed more, and more heinous, atrocities and war crimes than any other army or military force in those times. Do we decide right and wrong by counting corpses? Yes, there is indeed a depressingly widespread paranoid nationalist conspiracy theory fantasy within Serbia about how the Americans and British (possibly controlled by the Jewish conspiracy) are trying to destroy Serbia in order to seize their valuable store of, uh, turbo-folk CDs, trombone bands, and meat-based meal ideas.

I as a UK citizen sat and watched atrocities on my TV set every night in those years, and did nothing about it except wring my hands and wallow in liberal guilt. I did not write to my MP or demonstrate or contribute to NGOs or charity workers. Were those crimes, then, my fault? What about the role of the German government? What indeed of the Americans, and the UN, and indeed the EU itself? I seem to remember there was a chap called Franjo Tudjman who had a bit to do with it, come to think of it. But collective punishment is, quite rightly, a war crime under the Geneva Convention. It would be wrong to punish the UK for my and my compatriots inaction, as it was wrong to crash planes into the WTC to protest against American military presence in Saudi Arabia and the other perceived wrongs AQ thought they were fighting back against, as it would be wrong to try to punish the Serbian people by shunning them from modern world society until they abase themselves in dust and ashes at our feet. And it wouldn’t work, anyway.

3. mindysan33 says:

Heh. Turbo folk cds… Yes, we want those- I tell ya, I can’t get enough of Ceca…. that’s why we are all so down on the Serbs.

I think imipak makes some salient points. There is still much tension, but in some ways, perhaps Serbia joining the EU would actually go a long way to easing those tensions. Backing off threats towards Kosovar independence (trying to work for a effective split of the country) is being directly tied to EU membership it seems like. Perhaps a crude tool, but it could be effective in the long run. Do you really think the majority of people want to live in a state of perpetually tension and war? why shouldn’t the point to be eventually to normalize Serbia’s relationship with the rest of the EU… That being said, I’m not saying the EU/US has pure intentions in all this… I would question everyones motives.

Mindy

4. toyg says:

@ #4 and #8: The view that all conflicts following the disintegration of Yugoslavia were entirely the Serbs’ fault is a simplification. Croatia should certainly share the responsibility, as should Slovenia and several European players (Germany above all) who pushed hard to ignite the fire for their own motives.

This doesn’t mean that Karadzic and Mladic (and Milosevic etc) aren’t war criminals: they are, and they deserve everything they will get… but other people (like the Croat Franjo Tudjman) should not be spared a harsh historic judgment.

5. dragisak says:

There is a surreal note to all this. Apparently, all these years he worked in Belgrade as an alternative medicine practitioner under name of Dr. Dragan Dabic. He wrote for health magazines. Even talked on public conferences. Here is his web site http://www.psy-help-energy.com/ [In Serbian]

6. acb says:

The fact that Serbia has “right-wing restaurants” is in itself eye-opening.

7. Halloween Jack says:

I’m trying to imagine Hitler escaping from the bunker and hiding out in Berlin for years via the simple expedient of a Clark Kent-level disguise, and it just isn’t coming.

8. xaxat says:

There’s more. Via War and Piece , he has his own site, some in English.

9. Antinous says:

Seems like the die is cast for Serbia to join the EU. If they weren’t serious about it, they would have continued to allow him to ‘elude capture’.

10. bollocks says:

“In the shattered ruins of Yugoslavia there will never be a neat equalizing of the blame”

nor there should be. serbs are the prime cause of all the wars in the ex-yu the last 20 years. sure, the hague court is a farce, but that does not mean that everyone is to blame equally

11. flipa says:

There’s more. Via War and Piece , he has his own site, some in English.

whois says that the domain registration expires on July 22nd 2009, making it very likely that it was created today.

12. zeta says:

@ #7: Just like most Nazis were just people.
    Sorry, but until Serbia faces its past and admits responsibility, they cannot be part of the EU. Most Serbs I have talked to consider them self as victims of an international conspiracy against Serbia.