Roman siege engine for sale

15 Responses to “Roman siege engine for sale”

1. wolfrider says:

anything that’s been sitting in a yard for that long is not worth purchasing to use again (note: see ANY car purchased from some seedy dealership in the outskirts of a city, most notably from a guy with a deep Russian accent)

2. Daemon says:

I was excited when i thought it was a real one. Sadly, replica.

3. stanfrombrooklyn says:

I was actually touring around Scotland and happened to drive by this thing while it was being tested. It was pretty cool. What I remember most is the sound of all the creaking timber when this sucker was launched. If I was alive back in medieval days hearing that sound in the dead of the night would have scared me to death.

4. arborman says:

“The ballista, dissembled, has been in our Scotland timber yard since then”

This dissembling ballista clearly has something to hide.

5. codesuidae says:

Was that full size? Really makes you appreciate the extraordinary effectiveness of modern equipment.

I wonder if a steam-powered catapult (like on an aircraft carrier) could be constructed on-site using Roman Empire technology.

6. TheFool says:

A trebuchet might get better distance, but the ballista seems like it could have a higher initial velocity on a flatter curve… so I wish they’d thrown the rock at some kind of wall and measured or estimated the force at which it hit. Or just measured the velocity… anyone know if they did that?

7. adonai says:

Want. I’m sure I could find a city to lay siege to somewhere…

8. DarthTurducken says:

Why did they overwrite the dialogue with that crappy song?

9. insert says:

Is the intro video part of the intro to Age of Empires? It looks familiar.

10. Kieran O'Neill says:

#2: Umbriel. Yep, biopolymers are gonna tend to beat synthetic polymers for structural properties most of the time. We’re getting better, though…

11. alisong76 says:

I want it. I’ll point it at my noisy fuck neighbours.

12. macrumpton says:

What a perfect conversation piece to go with my 60′ trebuchet.

13. Umbriel says:

As I recall from the show, it cracked a bit under the stress of firing, so safety concerns are probably why they stress its now being a “demonstration piece”.

The big handicap in construction turned out to be the tensioning material used in the “springs” that propel the projectile. The Romans used coiled ropes of animal tendon, which were a common commodity in their time, but would be prohibitively expensive and labor intensive to produce today — something of a “lost technology”.

Such ropes contracted as they dried, while remaining resilient, making them the ideal material for bows generally, and giant ones especially. For the show, they attempted to use a particular type of nylon rope, which seemed to have comparable resiliency, but turned out to stretch and lose elasticity as they applied tension.

14. dbarak says:

How far will it throw a 44-year-old hockey mom?

15. nanuq says:

The starting bid is 25,000 pounds? With an additional 18,000 pounds to have it assembled at a new site? And they don’t take Paypal. I think I’ll pass on this one.