China surveilling Skype, UPDATE: Skype admits breach, apologizes

13 Responses to “China surveilling Skype, UPDATE: Skype admits breach, apologizes”

1. shiva7663 says:

Do people just not use PGPfone any more?

2. canadianalien says:

I am Canadian, so that means that the NSA can tap my phone/email/internet/fax whenever they want without any warrants etc. Any Americans out there want to fight for my right to not be surveilled : )

Verner Vinge’s Rainbow’s End and Charles Stross’ Halting State are two recent books that illustrate the reality we face regarding surveillance – it will happen comprehensively and systematically.

3. peteratskype says:

It’s important to remember that the issues highlighted in the Information Warfare Monitor / ONI Asia report affect only the TOM-Skype software distributed in China, and not standard versions of Skype. Skype-to-Skype communications are, and always have been, completely secure and private.

Josh Silverman, Skype’s President, has blogged about the situation, explaining where we stand and what we’re doing to sort things out.

4. zuzu says:

5. mdh says:

So, they’re apologizing for their partners actions, again. Sounds like a great marriage.

6. BBNinja says:

Should have not lived in China.

7. invictus says:

Or, taken differently:
    Josh Silverman, Skype’s President, has blogged about Skype being complicit in TOM gathering data for the PRC government, getting caught, and scrambling to cover its ass.

Please note that all we have to support Silverman’s claim that “Skype-to-Skype communications are, and always have been, completely secure and private” is… Silverman’s claim. I am not exactly overwhelmed with trust here.

8. jjasper says:

Not that I’m a huge fan of the PRC’s governance, but will someone explain to me how this is differnt from the NSA spying on US phone users?

9. Antinous says:

jjasper,
    Did someone make that claim?

10. jackie31337 says:

zuzu @1: “Should have used ZRTP for end-to-end strong cryptography for privacy protection.”

Unfortunately, ZRTP can’t be used with Skype because Skype uses closed and proprietary protocols. It works with just about any other VoIP application though.

11. egeverything says:

Ha!
    I was wondering what was happening last night…
    I was talking to my girlfriend in France and someone apparently tapped into our conversation and was drawing a beret on my head, or a rasta hat.. and rainbow sunglasses on my video! We were both pretty shocked because we were having a pretty important conversation…. about Tibetan independence.

12. mrutter says:

@JJasper

Well in the US the wiretapping without judicial review is illegal, its just the NSA doesn’t give a damn about it.

13. trlinde says:

I’ve worked with computers and the internet for decades. All areas private sector and government.
    Just about every OS, type of server and connection.
    The only thing I can say about this is why is everyone so surprised? If the general public only knew the about of information out there just laying around on servers. Not to mention what is monitored and the who that is doing it. While I can’t say much more than that. Just remember if it’s ever been said, done, sent, received, or just typed and it’s touched an electronic device. It can be brought back, seen or copied for a very long time by anyone on the planet no matter how secure or deleted you think it is. You just need to know where to look. So don’t even think it unless it can be totally public.