Vintage paperbacks featuring good girl art

11 Responses to “Vintage paperbacks featuring good girl art”

1. Keeper of the Lantern says:

As a kid I was mesmerized by the Edgar Rice Burroughs Barsoom series paperback covers, and the martian princess girls.

Strangely, this was years before puberty, so I guess something fairly primitive/genetic/chemical was already stirring my young loins.

2. thatbob says:

I’m stark raving cuckoo for Nightmare Alley. I read it in the Library of America anthology already cited, and it’s simply dynamite that blows the other stories out of the water. And, as good as the movie is – and as hard-fought as it was for Alan Ladd to get the movie made – it too is a bloodless limpid shell compared to Gresham’s hot prose and dark psychic insights. Read this books mutants!

3. Antinous says:

They look like bad girls to me.

4. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

Nightmare Alley is a great book. I’m glad to hear it’s back in print. Some years ago it went hand-to-hand through Tor Editorial. I think everyone who worked there at the time will still occasionally use the line, “But it’s just for a while, until we get a real geek.”

Not to slight Fredric Brown. I’ve never read anything by Fredric Brown that I’d hesitate to recommend to others.

Nightmare Alley isn’t out of print; it’s available in the American Noir of the 1930s and 1940s volume in the Library of America series, along with five other classic noirs. No GGA though.

6. Bonnie says:

If you want to see more pulp book cover art, I have my collection posted online as well:

7. gnosis says:

The film adaptation of NIGHTMARE ALLEY is masterful, in my opinion. Highly recommended.

8. jjasper says:

Try Charles Ardai’s Hard Case Crime imprint for new pulp-ish covers and books.

9. Mark Frauenfelder says:

Fredric Brown is one my my all time favorite authors. I love the advice he gave here:

‘Once I said to him I needed a model for an antagonist in one of my stories and was trying to think of someone I really hated. “Wrong,” he [Fredric Brown] said. “Base your villain on someone you like. That’ll give him some sympathetic traits and make him much more believable.”‘ (from ‘My Friend Fredric Brown’ by Walt Sheldon in The Big Book of Noir, ed. by Ed Gorman et al., 1998)

10. Tdawwg says:

It’s “William” Lindsay Gresham, not “Willima.” And the book is quite in print, being part of the Library of America’s anthology Crime Novels: American Noir of the 1930s and 40s. (A second volume contains noir from the 1950s.)

11. frogmarch says:

The graphic novel version of Nightmare Alley is still in print:

Worth checking out if you can’t find a used copy of the original.