Jonestown, 30 years later: Life and Death of People's Temple (PBS video).

13 Responses to “Jonestown, 30 years later: Life and Death of People's Temple (PBS video).”

1. antiaverage says:

FIXEDD, how can you so purposefully blind yourself of history? Doing so is how we doom ourselves to repeat it. Stop and learn something.

2. fiXedd says:

Argh, we get it… you’re obsessed with Jonestown and it the anniversary. Can we move on now?

3. bitty says:

Seriously? This is one of the most disturbing pieces of media I have ever seen. The voice of Jim Jones saying “Mother, mother, mother…” as he convinces mothers of young children to give the drink to their children first is absolutely chilling. And they did.

For me it was about how easy it is to brainwash ordinary people to do horrendous things. Its a great and horrific documentary.

4. pyota says:

what do people think of the theory that the CIA was behind the ‘suicide’?

If you’d seen this film, you’d get it too. It’s a really fascinating, riveting history. There was so much I did not know … and wouldn’t have understood before I’d seen this. Required viewing for anyone interested in the period.

6. SharonM says:

There’s a genius little video called Mind Control Made Easy – it’s made to look like a filmstrip you’d see in school in the 70s or 80s, sort of, and it outlines how people can get pulled in to this sort of thing.

It’s only 12(ish) minutes long, and worth watching.

This film is fascinating, intense, enlightening, and extremely well made. The story is told only via interviews with people: ex-church members, survivors, family members. The amazing thing about it is how you are led from the truly inspiring and progressive ideas and actions of the church to the ultimate nightmare. Highly recommended to anyone with an interest in Jim Jones, American culture in the 70′s, religion in general, and kick-ass documentary filmmaking.

I’m serious. It’s good.

8. SharonM says:

Hah. Forgot where I got the link from, Takuan.

9. Lester says:

Something about this documentary doesn’t sit right with me. Tim Carter’s story is just odd — that he somehow happened to survive — until you read up that he was one of those tasked with delivering Jonestown’s money to the Soviet embassy. And then I read this bit on Death A Day, a blog that’s worth a look-see:

There, he mentions he had a gun, which makes him one of Jim Jones’ enforcers. He’s probably a murderer. If not by deed then by complicit act.

Its the dad in me speaking. His baby, Malcolm, looked like mine does, unnervingly so. Maybe it is a failure of empathy on my part, but a universe couldn’t exist where I’d watch my baby boy die like that.

10. Takuan says:

wonder how many unique link identities exist in all the BB pedigree to date? That’s It! BBGrayGoo! Absorb the Web, all of it! Convert all! I always wanted to be a prion.

11. anthony says:

I remember as a child watching the news reports roll off the numbers as they came in.