Mall in China has McDnoald's and Bucksstar Coffee

51 Responses to “Mall in China has McDnoald's and Bucksstar Coffee”

1. Shanghai Slim says:

Whether those are “placeholders” or not, you really do see this kind of thing in China. For example, where I work in Shanghai, the computer displays have the brand name “SONK”, the logo uses the same font as SONY.

@#28 Ned613 who asked “BTW, does anyone know how to say ‘Super size it!’ in Mandarin.”

At McDonalds in China it’s “加大” (“jia da”), it translates something like “add big”.

2. gnosis says:

Colbert just did a “Wag of the Finger” segment on this. I wonder which writer reads BB? He also managed to drop a 419 scam reference in there – bravo!

3. gnosis says:

I believe these probably exist, but do we really believe that the photos were “leaked to a furious public” or that they all really are opening in an “all-bootleg mall”? The Mirror is a tabloid after all…

/not to be a party pooper :/

4. arkizzle says:

Clayton, I was just about to post:

It’s no McDowell’s

curses

5. tw15 says:

In the UK there used to be Kent Fried Chicken restaurants – before KFC/Pepsico’s lawyers stopped them.

6. Coriander says:

In Korea you can also buy boxes of donuts labeled DONUTS DONUTS. The lettering looks exactly like the Dunkin Donuts logo.

7. Ned613 says:

Well what did you expect Long March Hamburgers and People’s Coffee Shop? BTW, does anyone know how to say “Super size it!” in Mandarin.

8. Stefan Jones says:

Burger Gink!

Carl Junipers!

Melamine in a Box!

9. Antinous says:

Actually, that would be oMc McDnoald’s.

10. Teller says:

That is truly funny stuff. Clunky goodness.

11. djefoo says:

I think these names are only placeholders waiting for real shops. It looks like the company constructing the mall put in false signs while waiting for real shops to open up. This is what happens in Shanghai.

Anyone in Nanjing can confirm?

12. alexx says:

I’ve been calling it Buckstar for years! I worked for the competition and love undermining it.

13. DGallardo says:

I went to a “Pizza Hut” in Kathmandu about 10 yrs. ago. It was not the real thing. The “pepperoni” pizza was topped with yak cheese and some sort of yak meat sausage. The oddly spiced red sauce tasted vaguely like Indian curry.

I also went to a “Mexican” restaurant there; it was basically the same stuff in a different shaped.

• Antinous says:

I went to a “Pizza Hut” in Kathmandu about 10 yrs. ago.

I had a ‘chicken taco’ in Kathmandu. It was chicken curry on a chapati. I was, to put it mildly, bitterly disappointed.

14. TheDiversePurse says:

Haha. My favorite is Pizza Huh.

15. Pauliebaby says:

Instead of Cluck U Chicken (this might just be a NJ thing), Mother Plucker.

16. BrainDance says:

@RedShirt77
    It isn’t very fun at all, if you pop open the cd cover, it has a little LCD screen in it (and no CD drive actually to speak of) that plays your standard fare mid 90s LCD games.

Here’s a review for the latest and greatest PolyStation 3, they’re pretty much the same thing.

17. emilydickinsonridesabmx says:

I can verify that ‘Pizza Huh’ exists in several Asian countries in abundance.

18. Takuan says:

some suggested filler “English” prose for their menus:

“We paid handsomely to hire Manager KK and Camay full time;
    They personally present young and beautiful girls;
    Northern beauties in million swaying poses;
    Young housewives of fiery figures;
    All bewitching, seductive and are here on board today.”

• Antinous says:

some suggested filler “English” prose for their menus

or

A rare beauty in the North…
      She’s the finest lady on earth
      One glance from her, the city falls
      A second glance leaves the whole nation in ruins
      There is no city or nation that has been
      More cherished than a beauty like this

19. LSK says:

I agree with the newspaper complaint – a lot of people will let themselves be taken in.

20. bp says:

Where do you get lunch for five bucks?

Mc Downald’s, Boourger King, Woundy’s…

21. mdh says:

oMc McDnoald had a fram, ei ei u.

Yeah I can confirm this in Nanjing as well. Property developers put up fake signs to show how the malls or shopping area would feel like.

23. gnosis says:

@49 Koichan – me too!

In Soviet China….oh forget it…

This is in China? I believe that Chinese read from right to left (like Japanese). So, the Chinese mind probably reacts “favorably” to reversing letters but still having them read as the original.

25. rhys says:

can’t you guys see what this is about??

the walls of the multiverse are melting and alternate realities are bleeding into our own.

oMcDnoald’s and Bucksstar Coffee are MAJOR CHAINS in a PARALLEL DIMENSION!

26. DGallardo says:

@#34 I remember the funny thing about chicken in Nepal is that, because they feed them fish meal, the chicken tastes like fish.

27. mrmopwater says:

@#7, what is that from?

28. Raj77 says:

I generally refer to them as Barstucks.

29. Takuan says:

30. RedShirt77 says:

Can Boingboing get their hands on a PolyStation game console and let us know if it is any good?

31. dbarak says:

BiongBiong.net anyone?

32. arborman says:

I love some of the other examples in the linked article. Anyone want a Polystation 2? How bout some Adidos runners, or maybe a Panaosoanic stereo?

33. Bender says:

I’m still waiting for this merger-

Starbucks
    Dunkin’Donuts =

Stunkin’ Bucknuts

@#9 Actually, if the text is vertical Japanese read down the page in columns from right to left, but if the text is horizontal they read from left to right just like English.

In some parts of Africa, Ivory Fried Chicken seems to be quite popular.

36. koichan says:

Anyone else glance at the picture and read ” OMG MCDONALDS” instead of what it actaully spelled?

:D

37. monument says:

@#16 Bender:

I’m left wondering how I defied physics via your comment: As I was laid back in my desk chair, your comment gave me a good laugh that propelled me towards the computer screen.

38. Roy Trumbull says:

The classic wall poster in China is of Marx, Lenin, Stalin, and Mao. A western reporter realized the Chinese were no better at picking out individual western faces than westerners were at sorting out Asian faces. Through an interpreter he pointed at the poster and asked, “Who are those guys?” The reply was, “We call it the history of shaving”.

39. OLAF9000 says:

how bout a dounutry named Mcdoughnuts? my Mexican side of the family always referes to it as Mcdonus no matter how many times i try to correct them on it oh well, i lub the name :D

40. Micah says:

@#9: Chinese isn’t usually read right-to-left in the way Arabic or Hebrew are. Classical Chinese is read in columns top-to-bottom and then right-to-left, and some classical Chinese inscriptions (on gates and doorways, for example) are therefore right-to-left, but modern Chinese is usually read in left-to-right rows the same way English is.

41. buddy66 says:

Now even China will know that McDonald’s lattes are actually better than Starbucks’.

42. Coriander says:

Korea has Buckstar (one ‘s’) and Prowstar. The latter is actually a fairly common chain, and they’ve both got the same circular logo design.

Taiwan has a fried chicken chain called KLC. The logo is a cartoon chicken who bears a definite resemblance to Colonel Sanders.

43. JJR1971 says:

That must be MacDonalds in the original Scots-Gaelic (joke).

Too much fun–looks like some of the fake brands they dream up on Homestarrunner.com

In Moscow, Russia you can have a nice pizza at Pizza Khat (literal transcription of what the Cyrillic says).

I like Pizza Huh though…should be prounced “Pizza? Huh? Dude, you’re in CHINA.”

“No, the printers keep screwing these up, it should read ‘Contingency basis? NO, Money down!!’ ” — Lionel Hutz, of Simpson’s fame.

44. Itsumishi says:

@21 Buddy66

What? Did you read any of this?

Now where’s my helmet? I’ve gotta take a ride on my Lexus.

45. Clayton Hove says:

Keep an eye out for Prince Akeem, searching for his future bride.

46. Fred Rated says:

>> oMcDnoald’s and Bucksstar Coffee are MAJOR CHAINS in a PARALLEL DIMENSION!

In the parallel dimension, Ronald McDonald is NOT A CLOWN!

He’s a bike messenger.

47. palindromic says:

@12 Takuan
    “considering what McDonalds “food” does to one, can you imagine what these people will be serving?”

Low-grade meat and fried potatoes? What does McDonalds “food” “do to one” that is so unusual?