Henchman's Helper -- page filled with webcams

19 Responses to “Henchman's Helper -- page filled with webcams”

1. Ugly Canuck says:

It’s not live, but the concept is grand.
    What would it take to get it really live? What’s the problem? What’s the bottleneck/hindrance in tech terms?

2. Bledsoefilms says:

First off, let me say that the graphically, this is pretty awesome. It’s got a great aesthetic- love the idea.

I gotta go w/ Mojave here though- these imagines clearly aren’t live. Most of them are only 3-4 frames that on a cycle. This might not be true with all of them, but it’s certainly true with most of the surveillance videos- besides, night and day transition way to quick.

I think it’s kinda misleading when you call these “live webcams.” I’d be inclined to simply call it as it is- a really awesome concept art design.

3. joelf says:

When you click on the image it brings up the latest still image. It’s as live as I can get it!

4. joelf says:

#13 posted by Andrew W

You need to click on the image. It gets bigger.

5. Scuba SM says:

Ah, finally, something suitable to have running on my second monitor full time.

6. antquinonez says:

too bad they’re not live.

7. NJAldwin says:

Awesome. Definitely something to run on an auxiliary monitor.

I can’t help noticing that the “Ross Hall Pendulum Cam” thinks it’s October 3, 1970. Talk about not live–I didn’t know webcams even existed in the 70′s! Hehe.

8. Reverend T says:

Nice piece of web art.

The visual style also reminds me of NINs “Survivalism” video.

There’s always this ancient thing, if you want *live* webcams.

10. chezzo says:

Definitely not live – the fact that some of the cams flicker between daytime and night-time shots is a clue!
    And of the cams which are constantly either day or night, some are wrong – it’s definitely not dark in Poland right now!

11. joelf says:

Here is the bottleneck:

This site uses PNG’s, CSS and hotlinked images to do what it does.

For this to have live images, I need to find images that are a single updated image. this single image needs to be able to be hotlinked directly. I used to have a pile of live images, but I kept getting the “Please don’t steal this image” message, because i’m displaying a linked image on another webpage.

The site is Creative Commons, if you want to improve upon it, please do! Have fun, and use it only for the powers of good.

12. Bonnie says:

Lucius Fox would not be amused.

13. Andrew W says:

“… [I]nfrared satellite image of North America” where North America equals mostly just America.

14. Mojave says:

Doesn’t really seem “live” to me…when you bring up an individual cam it’s just static shots.

15. Astonishment says:

Of course I’m reminded of Ozymandias in “”Watchmen,” Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons’ graphic-novel…

…and soon-to-be-a-major-nerdfest-motion-picture….

16. Ugly Canuck says:

Ah so.
    thanx joel 4 response.

17. seyo says:

Wow, talk about synchronicity re:henchmen. My friend just IMed me this link. I LOLed.

18. joelf says:

Hey there! I made that! Thanks bb!

19. snsr says:

Joel – S I C K.
    I love it- one of my new favorite sites. It’s simplicity is inspiring.