Sean Williams's Darwinian religion novel CROOKED LETTER now free download

19 Responses to “Sean Williams's Darwinian religion novel CROOKED LETTER now free download”

1. A New Challenger says:

#7 Gramiq: Why stop there? One could be a book, and the other might be a rock at the bottom of the Marianas Trench ;P

I missed the quote at the beginning and for a second had thought that Cory wrote the novelization of The Force Unleashed. That was a fun couple of seconds.

2. Master Mahan says:

From a purely business-savvy standpoint, making the first book of a series available for free after it’s been available for a couple of years sounds like an excellent business plan. The premise sounds interesting as well, so I’ll give it a shot.

3. pilcrow says:

Major kudos to Mr. Williams for doing this. I will give his book a read.

4. KidDork says:

Very nice. I’ll start reading it tonight. Cheers, Pyr and Sean!

5. Keeper of the Lantern says:

Actually, releasing this novel online for free is not so crazy. This is the first I’ve heard of this guy, so if I like it I might start reading his newer works.

Actually, it turns out that most books go out of print, so if a book has outlived its cash flow potentials, why not re-harvest it as a way to drive people to the newest stuff?

Seems a natural extension of a books’ lifecycle these days:

Hardback–>Trade Paper–>Paperback–>Internet.

6. Blue Tyson says:

This one is definitely good. That goes for pretty much all his stuff though.

7. thequickbrownfox says:

I started reading it but it is very tiresome and uninviting.

8. Ranessin says:

Pyr is more and more becoming a favourite publisher of mine. Having Ian McDonald in their program does help though. :-D

9. Carbonfish says:

Trying to download while having the servers slammed by happy mutants did take me back to the days of my 28.8 modem though.

I did the same thing that I did back then. Went in and made a cup of tea, checked the mail and gave the dogs a cookie, and when I came back…

all done!

This is nice. Thanks Sean, and bOINGbOING for the linkage.

10. koichan says:

I think the website got boingboinged a little, currently downloading the PDF at a mighty 5kb/sec :P

thank you for a lovely day spent curled up in my favorite chair with a great read. <3′s bOINGbOING

12. dekonstruktr says:

boingboing effect made this impossible for me to d/l so i ended up buying a used copy on Amazon for really cheap heh.. sounds very interesting! Seemed very Mieville-esque, so it piqued my interest

13. Keith Olwell says:

Sounds perfect for the Kindle. Reading a pdf off of a computer will make you eyes bleed.

14. gramiq says:

Couldn’t the two novels be more different if one had been written in a different language? Perhaps using a different alphabet? I’m just sayin’ …

/hyperbolepolice

Anyway, I like the idea of releasing things free to interest people in new work, as well as to perhaps jump-start sales of old work. I have no problem buying media online, but I’ve grown to really hate buying-before-trying. This kind of trick is perfect for me!

(I’ll wait till it’s not boingboing’ed though. Perhaps a torrent? Anyone?)

15. Razzabeth says:

Thank you! I really like when you guys post free books.

16. dragonfrog says:

If the download remains overwhelmed for bandwidth, you could try downloading through the Coral distributed cache

Use the URL: http://www.pyrsf.com.nyud.net/chapters/CrookedLetterSmall.pdf

17. girasol369 says:

Hm. I rarely read whole books on the computer (read a friend’s draft of a novel once…), but I’m not going to waste paper printing it out either. I stare at a screen all day – not any harder on the eyes if it’s the draft of my book, someone else book, news sites, research, etc.

Downloaded this one because it has a religious twist, which intrigues me. Took a look at the first chapter over breakfast, and had to force myself to stop reading well into chapter 2 – an engaging story, even though it’s not a genre I read often.

Giving me a taste of one book only makes me interested in reading others in the series – and I will pay to read them. I’m one of those people who buys the hardback out of sheer impatience sometimes.

18. Opspin says:

This trick sure seems to have worked, I just saw that the Amazon Sales Rank went from #700,000ish to #109,221(!)

19. Tenn says: