Cyborg bugs

24 Responses to “Cyborg bugs”

1. arkizzle says:

This is so like a concept I made a few years back and then rehashed (with a view to completing) for my portfolio. Actually, I’m having one of those “you waited too long, you fool!!” moments, that the internet so often inspires.

It’s very similar and coincidentally I had just moved from Australia when I did it. It also involved sticking model weapons (Warhammer 40k) to insects..

I am not going to mention any details specifically; if I get round to it, it’ll be sweet! :)

2. arkizzle says:

Tak, but they are bug-scourges :)

3. bugmaker says:

pretty darned cool bugs. Of course I gotta chime in with a link to my own cyberbug sculpt:
    Unlike the bugs above, mine are sculpted, as are the cyberfixins.

4. suzysuzy says:

Looks like there are more cyborg insects to come. A whole army of them!

UBYKA ARMYâ„¢ – 25 NEW UNITS – all with individual and unique attributes that are categorised into SKY FORCEâ„¢ & EARTH FORCEâ„¢ with specific roles, abilities and signature weapons

I have a fairly nifty bug sculpture made by Mike Libby of http://www.insectlabstudio.com/ Not nearly as “hi-tech” looking but pretty sweet IMO. Though, the cats aren’t big fans of a mechanized scorpion chilling on the tv…

6. Ratdog says:

Fred H

You should take that idea to Hollywood.
    We need a movie like that in this world of ours.

7. suzysuzy says:

I saw this artist’s interview in the current U.K based art magazine ‘don’t panic’. He says his inspiration for the concept came from the real experiments the pentagon’s D.A.R.P.A agency is doing on these bugs. He has a scorpion tank and spider roadster and a battle bat as well. His explaination behind the artworks are really interesting. Link below http://www.dontpaniconline.com/magazine/nature/dean-christcyborg-insects

8. Agent Tuttle says:

Pretty cool, but it screams of Banksy’s “Withus Oragainstus”

9. Brainspore says:

Agree with #1. Unless these ones actually work, which would be off the fuckin’ chain.

10. Rick. says:

Didn’t Banksy do something like this?

11. TheCrawNotTheCraw says:

They don’t look any more violent to me than other freakisly large insects with fighter wings…and drop shadows.

Cyborg beetles are here, but they don’t look like this artwork exactly.

please see this link:

it’s been interesting to see videos of Berkeley’s Cyborg beetles at the IEEE MEMS conferences

13. Exploto says:

Bats: the big bug scourge of the skies!
    (Calvin & Hobbes)

14. noen says:

Concept needs a little work.

15. Ratdog says:

I swear these have been in my dreams lately…

16. Takuan says:

bats aren’t bugs!

17. Super Nate says:

Would you like to know more?

18. suzysuzy says:

It makes perfect sense – if the enemy are using cyborg insects against you, the ultimate defense weapon is the insect killer i.e cyborg bat!

19. Takuan says:

but then you’d have to kill us

20. Fred H says:

I swear this was some 80′s cartoon on weekday afternoons. That pic was the crummy toys they sold. Crummy because the missiles wouldn’t actually shoot off of the toy. The shows theme song was awesome though:
    GO GO GO GO CY-BOR BUGS!
    STOP THE WORM-LORS, CY-BOR BUGS!
    MADE OF METAL, MADE OF BUG!
    DEFEND BETTLETONIA.

Okay, I’m lying. Sorry to dash anyone’s hopes of a live action film of this being made.

21. suzysuzy says:

I never saw banksy create a scorpion tank, Tarantula with wheels, helicopter butterfly or a cyborg bat. I think these are pretty unique concepts – if anything its inspired by the above links by takuan