WFMU's The Media Squat with Douglas Rushkoff radio show

8 Responses to “WFMU's The Media Squat with Douglas Rushkoff radio show”

If you hate having crap shoved down your throat then WFMU has got to be a starting point in your musical universe.

It’s one of the very, very few non-commercial, independent radio stations in the USA. You really can’t put a price on that. Their format is free-form radio – the DJ does his or her show and that’s that. I don’t care what kind of music you like, if you actually like music, there is a show on WFMU worth your while to listen to. There are talk and interview shows as well, and I for one am glad to welcome D Rushkoff to the lineup.

They just did their mercifully brief yearly fundraiser but they came in a little short of goals – it’s not too late to donate!

Think about it – people who do radio because they have a passion to share something with you. No other reason at all. It’s worth throwing a few bucks in their tip jar.

2. jonathan_v says:

I like boingboing. i read it. but i’m looking at ads for Verizon and sponsorships by microsoft on almost every page. that’s not very underground… is it?

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Underground? You do realize that there are about a dozen people working full-time to keep BB going, don’t you? Would you rather send some money or at least stop by with a casserole?

3. Takuan says:

(psssst!! Jonathon! don’t tell ANYBODY! but I secretly just read the good stuff and don’t look at the ads!)

4. gulo gulo says:

WMFU is the best, this is rad

5. nosehat says:

I live nowhere near the actual broadcast area of this station, but I’ve been a huge fan of their music blog for a while now.

It’s an awesome, mp3-rich source for music-related material that I suspect many boing-boing readers would appreciate!

6. DBinNYC says:

@NOSEHAT – I live across the Hudson from their facility, and cant pickup the WFMU broadcast signal. Part of the fundraiser was for a repeater tower in NYC.

You CAN listen to the stream, as I do daily. They are the best thing around, bar none. I sub to a few of their podcasts, and have even taken time off from work, to volunteer last year.

They are a great bunch of people, and I am truly appreciative of what they do.

The Media Squat is another fine program that I caught last week, and last night. Kuddos to Mr Rushkoff

7. Frank W says:

That just brought the number of WFMU podcast subscriptions I have in iTunes up to a baker’s dozen. My favourite radio station, and I live six hours east of New Jersey. Congrats to Doug.