200905060853

Paintalicious has a gallery of artist Thomas Allen's book photography. Allen cuts the figures from vintage paperbacks and folds them up and out of the cover to create dioramas.

Using salacious pulp art drawing’s of the ’40s and ’50s that covered books such as ” I Married a Dead Man” and ” Marihuana Girl’, Allen constructs one set of pictures up close while obscuring another, and in the process creates a different context.

Thomas Allen’s Book Art Photography (Via Very Short List)

8 Responses to “Thomas Allen’s book art collage photography”

1. Cefeida says:

Yeah, this is one of those things I like to see pop back up on BB regularly. It’s got enough Wonderful to last for more than one post. :D

2. Sekino says:

Whoa! How did I miss the first (second?) post? This is awesome! I think I’m pretty creative, but when I see stuff like this, I just shake my head: How do people come up with such simple yet quirky ideas!?

3. gunsblazing says:

Some of those covers are pretty risky, assuming that those books were published WAY back then

4. hukes says:

I could never do that to a book, unless it’s a Paulo Coelho’s book.

5. bbonyx says:

Lots of repeats on BB lately:

Thomas Allen’s pulp illustration pop-ups

But this is just as cool the second time as it was the first.

@2: Actually, the post you link to also contains a comment that BB already reported on it. So this is the third time!

Not that it diminishes the coolness.

I picked up a wonderfully trashy novel from this era called “Strip for Murder”. The private eye had to solve a murder in a nudist colony and he “didn’t even have a place to hide his gun”. Irresistible.

8. wolfiesma says:

It is a startlingly clever medium. I could definitely sacrifice a picture book or two for the cause of teh great art collage…