Psychology Today interviews John Hodgman

13 Responses to “Psychology Today interviews John Hodgman”

1. PaulR says:

see my new book, on the various historical styles of deadpan

See here:

2. evolucien says:

yin/yang

…i’ve been scrolling past hodgman ever since he invaded boingboing; mostly, his humor, book pitch and writing style are TIRING.

…but, he’s great on the dailyshow; and he is a talented musician -you got to give him that; not to mention, his publicist/agent is brilliant -hodgman’s friggin’ everywhere these days!

3. FoetusNail says:

He said, “Stun Gravy.”

4. JJR1971 says:

There was a stand-up comedienne named Margret Smith in the 1990s whose style was 100% deadpan–loved her stuff. Sarah Vowell does a pretty good deadpan delivery, and David Sedaris.

If you can keep a perfectly straight face while all about you are cracking up, you’ve done it right (keep your satisfied smile on the inside and press on).

5. david85282 says:

Is John Hodgman associated with BoingBoing, or do they just have some sort of man-crush on him?

6. Gilbert Wham says:

Can a group of people, of mixed sex, have a man-crush as such? Are websites specifically male, in the way ships are always ‘She’?*

Anyway, Hodgman can come back anytime. Dude’s ok.

*Probably, on the matter of discerning the sex of inanimate objects/concepts, it’s best to consult the French. They have departments for that kind of thing

7. dculberson says:

david85282, I didn’t realize there was some sort of limit on the number of posts BoingBoing is authorized to make on a single individual. Do you have those standards published, or are they supposed to submit each post to you for review before publishing them? Thanks.

8. Chasqui says:

I don’t know why I blurted out a laugh when I read “stun gravy”.

9. Raj77 says:

Because it’s a brilliant phrase and a brilliant concept, that’s why :)

10. Takuan says:

I’m very annoyed now. “Stun gravy” seems familiar and now I’ll waste a ridiculous amount of time trying to remember where I heard it before.

11. woid says:

Separated at birth: John Hodgman and Dr. Bunsen Honeydew.

12. buddy66 says:

Booze

13. Takuan says:

yeah, but from where first?