Howie Tsui's Asian/Western horror paintings

12 Responses to “Howie Tsui's Asian/Western horror paintings”

1. Secret_Life_of_Plants says:

I recognize that Octopus from Hokusai’s “The Dream of the Fisherman’s Wife” and some of the other monsters from works by Toriyama Sekien. I expect “copied” or “appropriated” are better words than “influenced by”.

Love Howie’s art. Doesn’t everyone draw from Buddhist Hell Scrolls?

3. ju2tin says:

I expect “copied” or “appropriated” are better words than “influenced by”.

Hey, it’s not copying, it’s a mash-up!

4. FutureNerd says:

I think the goggles on this one make it look more like a peloscopus, although they don’t telescope.

“a variety of dark subjects, including Asian ghost stories, Buddhist hell scrolls, Hong Kong vampire films, neo-conservative propaganda, and twentieth-century genocides such as the Nanking massacre.”

Oh my.

Which one of these things isn’t like the others?

For heaven’s sake.

6. dculberson says:

So just because it’s an octopus, it’s appropriated? I think lots of people have painted octopi before.

It’s similar to, but not identical to, the one you named. Did you look at them side by side? I could spot a lot of differences.

(And it’s not a “mashup” because he actually painted this; it’s not just a cut and pasted monstrosity.)

7. Secret_Life_of_Plants says:

I love mash-ups and collages and montages and remixes and appropriation art. I just think that people should give credit.

8. Darren Garrison says:

1.) Great art, horrible Flash web site

2.) Here’s an example of a “Buddhist hell scroll”: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/Hellscroll.jpg

looks like would have been the result had Hieronymus Bosch been born on the other side of the planet.

10. hsaussy says:

Probably a likelier source is Masami Teraoka, especially his ukiyo-e parodies from the early 80s:

Which one of these things isn’t like the others?

For heaven’s sake.
    You’re right, Hong Kong vampire movies are nowhere near as dark as all that other stuff, they’re usually comedies.