Video of paging through R. Crumb's illustrated Book of Genesis

17 Responses to “Video of paging through R. Crumb's illustrated Book of Genesis”

Cannot wait!

2. MarkM says:

Did my comment about being able to buy this book cheaper on buy.com really get deleted?

3. demophon says:

This is going to be amazing.

4. Takuan says:

page slower, thee! Else I smite thee!

5. Quothz says:

Interesting. For all the praise, not a single person will defend him or try to explain his appeal. I note a similar trend when I Google around (which I did before my post): Lots of “he’s a genius” with little-to-no analysis. Is Crumb the Paris Hilton of comix? Famous because he’s famous?

6. DemiGuru says:

Great, another book to worship. ;-)

7. Takuan says:

yeah, but since it’s Crumb it’s OK to do it with a box of kleenex at hand – so to speak.

That does indeed look awesome – but what did this guy do, strap the camera to his face?

9. alistermag123 says:

Genesis really deserved Todd McFarlane.

10. Quothz says:

I have t’confess that I don’t really get Crumb. I mean, he’s a fine illustrator, he has a distinctive style, and sometimes he’s kind of funny. I’ve seen that his style’s influenced a lotta folks.

But I don’t get it: He’s pretty good, but I’ve seen better, more evocative illustrators with distinctive styles, much funnier cartoonists, and artists who delve into much more complex and enduring topics. He seems to me to lack any subtlety; reading his comics is like having a mediocre comedian scream in my face.

So what’s the appeal? Is it because he was daring enough to ‘toon about sex, drugs, and rock n’ roll in the days when those were not mainstream topics? Is it just a matter of taste? Or am I mildly art-impaired?

@QUOTHZ Some of us appreciate Crumb as a trend setter and yes, he did break through the wall of censorship that went up after the Congressional comic book hearings in the ’50s. For some of us it’s nostalgia—I was a horny, teen-age hippie when I first discovered undergrounds back in the ’60s. That being said, if you study his body of work you start to understand the point of view he brings to even the simplest illustration. Crumb is a self-aware, sexually immature, cynic who has few heroes (blues musicians, etc.). Sure, there are better illustrators but none that would deliver the Bible from his POV. I think of Crumb as the cartoonist’s Ivan Albright. He could draw/paint the loveliest subject and still make you wonder if there wasn’t something rotten just out of view.

I believe the first chapter was published in the New Yorker a few weeks ago. It takes the genius of someone like Crumb to do justice to the book of Genesis, but judging from the sample in The New Yorker, this will be a classic…

13. Brainspore says:

Did he keep all the dirty bits?

14. eti says:

BORING! If this was done by anyone else it would be laughed off as yet another piece of crap comic book bible.

15. Takuan says:

one can only pray.

16. DWittSF says:

R. Crumb is the William Blake of our time.