They Might Be Giants' awesome new kids' CD: HERE COMES SCIENCE!

24 Responses to “They Might Be Giants' awesome new kids' CD: HERE COMES SCIENCE!”

1. SuperStrong says:

Nice work, TMBG! It’s great that a well-known group can introduce educational music to so many people.

My company (Rhythm, Rhyme, Results) produces educational rap & pop songs in math, science, language arts, social studies, and more. If you like this album, you’ll probably like our science stuff. It just won a 2009 Parents’ Choice Award.

Robbie Mitchell
    Rhythm, Rhyme, Results

2. Phikus says:

TMBG have consistently churned out excellence for kids and adults alike. Don’t forget the “No!” CD for more awesomesauce for the whole family. =D

3. Siamang says:

I agree.

It’s also a fantastic album for your budding young rationalist.

The Johns clearly haven’t gotten the message that we must all be nice to religion, and religion and science aren’t in conflict at all. As they say

“I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like the stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I’m seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science
    The facts are with science”

I’m overjoyed at the hard rocking anthem “I am a Paleontologist”, which I think captures the sheer joy of loving what you are doing, when you are doing something awesome.

4. pshaffer says:

Fantastic

“possibly the best kids’ song ever written about falsifiablity in hypothesis formation”

This is a small niche, though. What is the 2nd best kid’s song ever written about falsifiability in hypthesis formation??

;)

5. Maddy says:

“I like the stories about Angels,” and their song too. I sang “Angel” at a wedding …

6. skullivan says:

#17 I haven’t had a chance to listen to it yet but I’d be very surprised if the album has any overt references to religion. A. it’s just not TMBG’s style, and B. Their children’s albums are put out by Disney, who would be unlikely to allow it in any case.

7. rikchik says:

“How Many Planets”? I’ll be interested in seeing how they tackle that minefield.

8. funwithstuff says:

I didn’t know this was coming out when my daughter and I recorded this version of us covering “Why Does The Sun Shine?”.

#20, yes, the original is from a record called “Space Songs”. TMBG released their cover on an EP by the same name in 1994.

9. Siamang says:

Well, their songs do include the word “Evolution.”

I’ve heard that word causes fits.

10. Stefan Jones says:

I first heard the Sun song in third grade; our music teacher had a LP of space songs and played it one day.

That was around 1971.

I love the preview about the Elements on Itunes! I wish they do a podcast for this one!

When you watch this video, thank a science teqcher.

In this case, that would be Messrs Scott, Arnold, and Maciel; Ms. Patton and Bailey, and others whom I cannot remember from the Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School faculty of the early ’70s.

“I was enthused at its unabashed swipes at religion and those who insist that children shouldn’t test ideas that their parents tell them. The Johns clearly haven’t gotten the message that we must all be nice to religion, and religion and science aren’t in conflict at all.”

I’m a big fan of TMBG and I applaud the work they’ve done for kids. As with our science classrooms, however, I wish they would have kept out any reference to religion. Kids have been dragged into the ugly debate enough as it is. Allow them to enjoy science on its own.

14. Quiet Noises says:

My friends recorded a track called “Heavy Metal” about a decade ago in their basement. It was just them reading out metal characteristic over overly-distorted guitars tuned down a few steps. Quite hilarious, although not as catchy as this stuff!!

15. polapix says:

I am a TMBG fan and have bought most of their albums in the last 20 years.
    “Here comes science” which arrived today in the mail doesn’t play in either of my ordinary (B&O, Sanyo) DVD-Players, also not on my usual CD-player program on my computer.
    The CD dos not bear the CD logo and is clearly not a red book CD but crippled by some copy protection scheme.
    Bravo Disney!
    I was able to rip the audio and burn it on a CD that plays in my players, however I could have avoided the hassle and download the tracks from the net for free which is probably how I’ll get the next one.

16. TheMadLibrarian says:

For our library’s collection: DO WANT!!1!!

17. Phikus says:

Mojave: Nice! Way to Foghorn Leghorn it. ;D

18. Talia says:

I love TMBG but have thus far avoided their children’s stuff. I have no kids nor know none to gift with such.

Still, this sounds pretty good. :)

19. jimbuck says:

My 6 yr old thinks West Xylophone is a country thanks to these two!

20. Antinous / Moderator says:

Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School faculty of the early ’70s

Ashland HS in the early 70s for me. Howdy, neighbor.

21. Caroline says:

I’m buying this just for myself. No kids in the house at the moment, but a whole science-themed TMBG album? I’m there.

22. carriem says:

Cory:
    I’d love to get this for my little brother but my mom is a “bornie”. Born-Again Christian, for you Phillistines out there. :)
    Is this going to totally piss her off? Or is it vague enough to get by her Jesus monitor?

23. sg says:

#17 put it on his iPod and mom will never hear it.