Library in necklace form

17 Responses to “Library in necklace form”

1. Jonathan Badger says:

Is there software for making miniature books? With high resolution duplex laser printers making readable miniature books is a technical feasibility, but with standard tools it would take too much time. I’m not talking about “booklets” — there’s lots of software out there for making half-page or quarter-page books, I’m talking truly miniature books — an inch a page at most like on this necklace.

A Library of books of your own words!
    a ghost libary or future library of sorts. i adore it!
    XO
    jl schnabel

3. gmoke says:

I’m trying to recall the name of a fine storyteller who used to read at Boston’s weekly Stone Soup Poets back in the 1980s and 1990s. She wrote modern fairy tales with a humorous twist and made miniature books as jewelry with some of her stories. I bought a couple from her once as gifts.

Creds to BWCBWC, I would find it cooler to put a real library on an SD card and put that in a waterproof shockproof case. Especially if not very heavy, with no sharp edges. Come to think of it I have not even seen anything for sale to hold multiple SD cards. And microSD could definitely fit in one of those books. FWIW yes my Mom has some of those tiny books. But they are antique would be damaged if worn like that and anyway, empty books is bad. Much better to go w/ SD.

5. pepsiman says:

Miniature books were the Kindles of the 19th century.

6. LightningRose says:

For the DIYers who want to make their own, with or without text/illustrations, try this place:

Or Google. :)

7. Beverly Stayart says:

This is not a new idea. You can easily make a similar necklace yourself.

8. HowardsGrl says:

I agree with #3…too many books.
    one would be nice.

I don’t mind that its blank. You could fill it up with teeny sketches. If you have more than one they could be themed…like all one book of flowers or bugs or cars or whatever…neato

9. octopod says:

notcot.org ftw

This is nice if you work in a library or school.

11. nosehat says:

I’ve seen bibles printed this small, from over a century ago.

In fact, I used to own one. It was housed inside a pendant with a magnifying glass built into the front, so ostensibly it could be read. I might still own it, for all I know, the tiny little bugger.

12. Fee says:

One tiny book would be cool… that heap of books looks uncomfortable and a bit obtrusive.

I agree that it would be better to have content… the idea of a blank library might be the wrong sort of symbol to carry.

If one book… what would yours be? Mine would be a volume of Clare Sheridan’s autobiography… Nuda Veritas.

13. Tenn says:

Blast you, Antinous, I was scrolling hopefully to the end of the page, thinking I would be able to make the reference-

but you beat me. Well played, sir.

14. bwcbwc says:

I realize part of the point of this exercise is to have actual print books, but some of those look big enough to hold a mini USB-stick or a micro-SD card. You really could fit a library in there if you limited the number of illustrations and compressed it down to 8 GB (or 16 GB as prices drop).

15. Antinous / Moderator says:

Is there an Orange Catholic Bible in there?

Blank books are for filling, that is part of the beauty of this piece…

The title may be what is wrong with it.