Boing Boing Video: Coachella Time-Lapse (dir. Ray Klein, music by Hawke)

WATCH: Download MP4 / Watch on YouTube / more at boingboingvideo.com.

Ever wondered what a giant, sprawling, three-day music festival in the desert would look like if it were nano-crammed into just a few minutes? Here you go. Boing Boing Video presents this ambitious timelapse video of the 2009 Coachella Music and Arts Festival directed by filmmaker Ray Klein. Ray says:

This was my third year taking time lapse at Coachella, and it was one of the best.  I always find it interesting to see the ebb and flow of people throughout the day, and the hardcore fans who show up when gates open and lie out in the field in their bathing suits!  Coachella is always great about supporting the arts and this is another example of their commitment.  Enjoy!
The music you hear is "Everything is Happening At The Same Time," by Hawke, courtesy of Eighth Dimension Records. His new record, "+++," comes out next week.

Ray adds: "Special Thanks to Bill and Leo from Coachella for making it happen, Hawke and QBAM and Eighth Dimension Records for the music, and TJ Martin for the output."

11 Responses to “Boing Boing Video: Coachella Time-Lapse (dir. Ray Klein, music by Hawke)”

I couldn’t help but root for the white trash cans in the center-right part of the foreground. I have no idea why.

2. Pharmakos says:

#4: I was rooting for the grass. (And I don’t mean the stuff lit in 3-foot bongs that are somehow smuggled in.)

See how much trash gets left on the grass by the end of the night. But then it looks so sparkly and green at the start of the next day!

My least favorite part of Coachella is when I’m too tired at night to stand but I don’t want to sit down in a field of blowing garbage.

3. Chris Jordan says:

Wow, this is amazing! There’s piles of timelapse from Burning Man that this compares well with, in terms of scale, multiple days, etc (skysquid!). This should be in T-Minus, the timelapse film festival in NYC*, http://www.t-minus.org.

Thanks Ray,
    Cj

(* full disclosure: I organize it)

4. Phikus says:

The fun is to try to spot the naked guy being tased by the cops. -The Where’s Waldo for the new millennium.

What are those lone boxes interspaced in the grass? Garbage cans?

6. JDV says:

cool! You can see the Serpent Mother brought by the Flaming Lotus Girls center left of the view during the night. It is the squiggly line of light that ‘poofs’ fireballs at night. Extra points for spotting the occasional streams of unearthly colored methanol shooting out of the center!

7. Celestyna says:

Getting claustrophobic just looking at it.
    Man, I wish I could deal with gynormous packed crowds like that, their lineups always look so fun!

8. kobrakai says:

It would be interesting if there was a caption telling us which band was playing during the crowd build-ups.

awesome! now i’ll never have to spend the $400 to sit in the desert in a giant crowd for 3 days!

beautiful! Reminds my of a positive Koyaniqstasi

yeah, the white boxes are trash cans. cardboard, with lids that are quickly stolen and fashioned into visors.