Hot Pink Beasties of the Deep

14 Responses to “Hot Pink Beasties of the Deep”

Quick, what’s pink and thrives on hydrocarbons?

Ooh, I AM! I AM! PICK ME, MONTY!

These remind me of the feathered worms from the Burgess Shale.

2. Orpheus84 says:

I don’t think these worms count as living outside of solar energy, unless you’re a proponent of
    abiogenesis.

I do think that the worms are cool though. There’s got to be some sort of pollution control application for the farming of these things.

The first time that I heard of methane ice worms was in the context of making them a fuel. See http://alternative2energy.com/worms/index.htm

4. dculberson says:

Methane ice worms: the latest intergalactic scourge or best punk band name ever?

Maggie, thanks for the awesome post.

5. scifijazznik says:

The methane/water shell may not be tasty, but what about the worms themselves? I betcha if Bobby Flay dusted them in chipotle powder, grilled ‘em up and served ‘em with mango salsa, they’d be nummy.

The first I heard of these worms was just a few weeks ago, in Frank Schätzing’s great novel “The Swarm”. I was impressed by his level of research, and also to learn the creatures that kept me company throughout the reading are real, and just as I thought they looked! Find a link to his (pretty awesome) book here:
    (Translation and editing aside…)

7. JoshP says:

These are gonna be the new sea monkeys, just watch. I wonder if anyone is gonna be able to get them to thrive in a lab enviro. frickin’ awesome.

8. redsquares says:

dculberson:
    If GWAR is any indication, I’d say both intergalactic scourge AND punk band

9. SKR says:

JoshP: if you want a worm that looks very similar, just go to your local aquarium shop and pick up a piece of Saltwater live rock. Plunk that in some saltwater and wait for the bristle worms to show themselves. Sure, they don’t live on methyl hydrate and crude oil, but they look just as creepy.

10. glib909 says:

Suddenly I have a craving for methane ice worm scampi.

11. glittertrash says:

So do these count amongst those life forms that exist outside of the solar energy -> photosynthesis food web that most of us belong to? I am SO interested in reading more about the biology of that entire category of life, especially the food chains involved, I have tried a few different Google searches but I am not a biologist, and haven’t come up with a good search string yet (“non-photosynthetic life” doesn’t return a great deal). In my non-biologist, science-fiction-prone brain, life forms that do not participate in a photosynthetic food web are both the aliens among us, and evidence for the plausibility of non-terrestrial life. Deep ocean vent bacterial colonies: also extremely exciting. So I’d be very keen to see more articles or links to more research in this field!