The Story Of "The Pink Lady of Malibu"

14 Responses to “The Story Of "The Pink Lady of Malibu"”

1. Marcelo says:

Hee, I thought this was an article about Angelyne. Still pretty amazing stuff.

2. Marshall says:

One of my favourite LA stories. I love the fact that it wasn’t done by some desperate for attention MFA or some “art as marketing” “street artist”.

3. anansi133 says:

I like to imagine that the artwork is still somehow safe underneath all that brown paint, and in a more enlightened time, it could be recovered.

Still kind of a bummer, though, to be reminded that while garden variety graffiti is too common for the authorities to bother with, something with some artistic merit has got to be erased *immediately*. If she’d chosen a bird instead, would it have been allowed to stay?

Was this as you headed towards Malibu or coming back towards the Valley?

Lynne Seemayer would be 76 y.o. now, and I wonder if she is still alive and how cool it would be to restore her work and make it a landmark. it so symbolized the 1960′s sexual revolution and was done with such an adventurous spirit, very symbolic of the American spirit! I applaud anyone who rebels against the norm, especially artist!

6. Hell's Donut House says:

I’m just wondering where Jeff was in all this.

I remember seeing this amazing sight when I was 11 years old. My father worked in Malibu at Hughes Research Labs and told our family about the crazy traffic jam the Pink Lady was causing, so of course we had to drive there ourselves. It’s funny though – in my memory it was so much larger!

You can still see a faint outline of the lady today.

8. wrybread says:

dragonfrog/#6 wins the thread.

9. wispsmoke says:

This story is awesome, glad to see Wooster getting boinged again. Too bad it was painted over; this could easily have become a landmark.

10. dragonfrog says:

Five comments, and no one has declared how much they hate graffiti, used scare quotes around the term street art (or just the word art), or been shocked that all-sacred, all-holy property rights should be violated.

11. cstatman says:

I “interesting” public arts. Sanctioned or not.

I mindless tagging. Heck, I cannot even understand it, chicken scratchins? feh. No art, no meaning, nothing but “here is my mark, feh, I spit on you” It is the exact opposite of art.

Would be so so pleasant if more nekkid women, birds, even kilroy was here arts popped up.

And LESS Tags. just my thought

12. Gloria says:

The chronicle of the repercussions afterwards for Ms. Seemayer/Westmore are kind of sad — with the death threat, scary, and with the unsolicited photos, extremely creepy.