Science-themed cookies for all your holiday baking needs

9 Responses to “Science-themed cookies for all your holiday baking needs”

1. Antinous / Moderator says:

Agar agar is principally a foodstuff. I made desserts with it when I was a vegetarian.

2. Jonathan Badger says:

The Petri cookies are cute. Although technically, agar is edible — apparently the Japanese eat flavored agar much like the West eats flavored gelatin — you could imagine a Petri dish treat that used real agar instead of cookie dough…

3. ill lich says:

Those petri dish cookies are actually an interesting abstract design, until you realize what they represent. Yeah sure, “agar is [technically] edible”, but do want to eat whatever is growing on it? Ewwwwww.

4. Gloria says:

Ditto the weird Petri grossness.

Other than that, she is the perfect woman.

5. pjcamp says:

I’m a scientist (though not made of gingerbread) and I’ve never worn a white coat in my life.

This is what physicians wear to make themselves look like real doctors.

The petri cookies are a cute idea, but every time I look at a representation of a petri dish, I can smell a combination of agar and fetal bovine serum that’s been steaming in a body-temperature bath for days–and it’s been oven ten years since that experience. DO NOT WANT.

7. GuidoDavid says:

Major yuck moment. When I saw the cookie, I went “grghuuuuughoooooarg”. I’d eat it, but my visceral reaction was THAT’S NOT A COOKIE, IT STINKS AND IS DANGEROUS!!!1!

8. poshhonky says:

Yes! Those plates are awesome. How about some clones with blue and white colonies?

9. Snig says:

Agree on yuck vs. coolness.
    I could never eat anything in/from lab. One of the professors used to use salt from lab for her popcorn, and even though it was likely purer than the anything from the grocery (though it did not supply iodine, a necessary nutrient) the wrongness was perturbing.

You could also do “chocolate agar” cookies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate_agar
    mmmm, lysed sheep blood cells….