Media Meltdown: a media literacy comic for kids

8 Responses to “Media Meltdown: a media literacy comic for kids”

1. @ShapingYouth says:

Thrilled to see this come to light, as I’m a firm believer in using graphic novels/media literacy methods to reach and teach in multiple forms. (see recent post on meaningful manga about Gandhi on Shaping Youth: http://www.shapingyouth.org/?p=9375)

I ‘virtually met’ Liam O’Donnell on the RezEd.org hub, so know he has serious edu-tech chops so am anxious to read this myself. There’s also a new online immersion game to instill media literacy in the UK which I’d like to cover and test out a bit, as peer to peer collab learning has proven insightful & effective time and again. (we’ve done some ‘embedding’ of positive concepts in virtual worlds to test what ‘sticks’)

And finally, we also use AdinasDeck.com film dramatization for media literacy w/tweens, as it uses a cast of kids tackling everything from a cyberbullying mystery/clue based ‘whodunnit’ to safety loopholes (e.g. an online ‘crush’, school plagiarism on papers, etc.) without being too heavy handed.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Much appreciated!

Baker & Taylor (vendor to libraries) has it listed as “Children’s – Grade 3-4, Age 8-9″

3. Bloo says:

Along the same lines, here is an excellent old-school insulator against media manipulation, the Propaganda game.

I played this game in eighth(?) grade in the latter half of the 1960s, and it really taught me to see how advertising, press releases, and what not, were worded to manipulate my thinking.

Along with your Little Brother, this is a great addition to truly engaging media literacy texts. No generation has ever been in need of these tools more than this one. I challenge you (Cory) to put together a kids book about Privacy – the next greatest literacy of our times :) perhaps as a graphic novel!

Thanks for the great review Cory. @anonymous#1 – the reading level is 8-14 years, so yes a privleged/smart 7 year old could read it for sure.

@shapingyouth – long time no chat! adinasdeck.com is a great project – keep up the excellent work – the web needs more.

6. warreno says:

And what about the sequel, when their bodies are found in shallow, unmarked graves?

can you estimate the reading level or “minimum age”? is this something the “average” (priviliged/smart) 7 year old would love? would a young teen find it too childish or is it sufficiently multi-level for a wide swath of kids to enjoy it and get something out?

It’s always some evil corporation, isn’t it? How about a local politician who siphons tax dollars to a pet project which does nothing but helps him get re-elected? Too crazy extreme, right-wing I guess. Not that it happens in every municipality in the country or anything.