Walking the streets by the WTC, using a coin-toss as your guide

18 Responses to “Walking the streets by the WTC, using a coin-toss as your guide”

1. Roast Beef says:

I love the “literature received” portion of his log. :) Wish there were more pictures.

jasoneppink, this totally sounds like a Conflux project.

2. IsolatedGestalt says:

In the old days, we called this a “penny hike”, and it was a nice way to get a troop of urban girl scouts out and about. We stuck with a simple left/right choice at every intersection, though.

3. jasoneppink says:

Gavin, you should check out the annual Conflux Festival in NYC, the “art and technology festival for the creative exploration of urban public space”. I think you’d really be into it. If you wanted to submit to re-walk this project with a group, it would fit the festival perfectly.

4. Per Starbäck says:

Nice to see flipism in action! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flipism

5. The Lizardman says:

I let a coin flip guide me around DC on my first trip there back in the 80′s – it is a great way to explore, wish I had thought to take photos

6. Dragonflye says:

I explored Geenwich Village in New York City with some friends by following the walk signals on the crosswalks. If the sign said walk, we walked. we had no idea where we were. It was awesome. And we saw some great cafés and shops…

Thumbs up for randomness.

7. Pantograph says:

Interesting how randomness can get you into interesting places. In numerical mathematics this is called a Monte Carlo method. Luke Rheinhart wrote The Dice Man a novel about a man who would let the roll of a dice determine every decision for him. In a similar vein, I’m convinced that this is why the I-Ching is so effective. Nothing mystical, just a random piece out of 64 pieces of good advice mixed with your own thoughts helps to keep your thoughts about the matter at hand original.

8. AnthonyC says:

So this is a biased random walk in 2-D, where the probabilities are not all equal.

In 1-D, a random walker will eventually (probability 1) return to his starting point. In 3-D, there is a probability that he never will, even if he takes infinitely many steps. I don’t know the answer for 2-D though. If this walker walked forever, not just an hour, would he be certain of eventually getting home?

9. franky says:

To my knowledge this method is called psychogeography: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychogeography

• Tdawwg says:

Psychogeography it most definitely is! I recommend Michel de Certau’s The Practice of Everyday Life for you and others interested in these concepts: it’s one of the best theoretical and practical books ever, an epochal text that any maker or aspiring technogeek needs to read, or at least consult.

The photo above is quite beautiful and haunting, BTW. Good stuff, Gavin person!

10. Joe says:

My wife and I did coin-flip walks sometimes years ago, when we lived in San Francisco. However, we enjoyed it more when we constrained the game: at each intersection, each of us would pick a direction, and we’d take the path chosen by the coin flip winner.

11. LeFunk says:

It’s a fun thing to do, but gets immensely boring, if taken too seriously.

And here’s a load of other ways:

13. tubacat says:

Ok, I’m obviously missing something, but when I come to an intersection, there seem to be 3 possibilities: turn left, right or go straight ahead (or even 4, if you count turning around and going back the way you came). So how does a single coin flip let you decide? Or is going gaily forward not an option?

• Beanolini says:

how does a single coin flip let you decide

The author explains:

Heads means left, tails means right. If it’s a four-way intersection, then two heads means left, two tails means right, and one heads and one tails means keep going straight.

My personal favourite method is to pick a person (or vehicle) ahead of me, and turn in the opposite direction to them/it.

I’ve done the same thing when a group of co-workers can’t come up with a decision about where to eat. one flip for straight or turn, one flip for left or right if you turn.

eventually you narrow your options to the point that a decision becomes easier.

15. bjacques says:

Which reminds me, I’ve been seeing at the flea markets here loads of Lancet brand razor blades. Is this a disturbing logo for razorblades or what?

16. bjacques says:

Sorry, wrong thread. Somewhere, though, I have an old Mac Powerbook with a program called Walking Bigi,” written by someone inspired by bolo’bolo, a Swiss description of a utopia of communities no bigger than 400 people. It would make a good app now for psychogeographers with iPhones.