Wired Reread: AT&T's "strap-on telephone"

14 Responses to “Wired Reread: AT&T's "strap-on telephone"”

1. GrymRpr says:

A 28.8 modem!
    Whoa!
    I gotta start saving cos this 300 Baud Acoustic coupler is damn slow now days.

2. jtegnell says:

That’s one well-manicured and buffed hand.

3. Cowicide says:

Shoving a strap-on into your ear sounds painful.

• Anonymous says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who made that jump immediately… what an unfortunate phrase for use in an ad-campaign.

4. Michael_GR says:

But… but… they already had cellphones back in 1995… The Motorola Star Tac (the first cellphone you could truly fit in a pocket) was released early in 1996. Telling the forward-thinking, early-adopter crowd that read Wired that wireless phones were “in the near future” is cluelesness on a scale I never encountered.

5. sergeirichard says:

Thank God this never took off. A strap-on that also called the next day would have made all men redundant.

6. deckard68 says:

A link to a better scan of that was posted to Boing Boing in a comment a year or so ago… Here’s a repost, in case someone needs that image in poster-sized higher-quality:

7. DasBub says:

I always wear my strap-on when I have a caller.

8. Sparrow says:

My phone also vibrates.

You couldn’t even use it to call the command center!

10. nixiebunny says:

Dick Tracy had that in the 1940s! But seriously, that was when AT&T thought that they would be around forever. Little did they know that Nokia would eat their lunch.

Actually, we did invent a wrist phone back at AT&T Bell Labs a few years before this ad ran. But the art designers modified most of the prototypes underlying the ad campaign, sometimes dramatically. See http://www.genuineideas.com/HallofInventions/Wristphonestory/wristphonestory.htm

Unfortunately, about the same time AT&T exited the consumer products business. And then decided to spin off its wireless unit. So the future was farther away than first thought.