Stop DRM on UK TV! Sign onto ORG's comments

11 Responses to “Stop DRM on UK TV! Sign onto ORG's comments”

2. shadowfirebird says:

Done.

Anyone who is generally shy of such things om privacy grounds, as I am: they allow you to respond anonymously. Nice.

Given that the BBC still gets a whole lot of its’ content from the US the vast majority of content will probably be pirated long before it reaches the British airwaves.

I wonder how much of this is to allow the commercial arm of the BBC to charge more for its exported TV shows by claiming lower pirating opportunities and thus greater demand for the product in US (or wherever) markets.

As said by Anon # 3: “If ‘rights holders’ refuse to allow distribution without DRM, simply refuse to buy from them. If they won’t be reasonable, the BBC don’t buy their stuff. End of story.”

4. John says:

The BBC should be given a simple choice DRM or Licence fee.

If they wish to emulate Sky – then they should let us choose whether to accept their commercial tie-ins or not.

5. Dewi Morgan says:

Quote from mine:

“This system will reduce, not enlarge, the amount of material available in HD.

I refuse to release any content under such DRM.

That is my policy, the policy of my company, and the policy of my associates. I admit that we don’t produce much, but what little we do produce will be restricted by license from being commercially used on such a system.”

Their main selling point for this DRM seems to be “we’ll get MOAR CONTENT!” – so the more content creators we can get to say something like the above, the harder it will be for them to argue that.

6. Dewi Morgan says:

Also: there’s no link to “sign the ORG’s comments”. You can send them an email, but it’s hardly made clear on the linked page if that’s the same thing. You can also submit your own response, unrelated to ORG. I’ve done both, but… *shrug*.

Needs better linkage.

7. efergus3 says:

“sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear.”

8. Coal says:

Down with this sort of thing.

We already have this in place in Japan, and as far as I know there was never any public debate over it. People just accepted it as handed to them without realising there was any other way. It’s not all negatives though – because of the increase in HDD recorders, the copy bit has to be set to a minimum of 1 digital copy to allow them to be recorded and avoid alienating the audience (in practice, I’ve yet to see a show that didn’t have this set). In practice this means that the DRM allows it to be recorded to the HDD and kept there, or then transferred to a DVD/Blu-Ray on the condition that the HDD version is deleted in the process, which licensed machinery complies with. The positive side of this is that by specifically allowing the one digital copy, there is no longer any legal ambiguity involved with storing entire seasons of your favourite programming, films, anything you like for all eternity in beautiful High Definition on Blu-Ray discs.

Sorry I forgot to identify myself in my previous comment. I am Nick Reynolds Social Media Executive in BBC Online.

What’s happening to this country? It seems that our own organisations hate us, even though we pay their hugely inflated salaries. I’ve given up air travel because of the security stupidities (which have as yet to show anything but massive travel disruption) and now the BBC wants to use my money to prevent me from making copies of stuff I’VE ALREADY PAID FOR!