UK political comedian Mark Thomas's new book is The People's Manifesto
, and it contains a list of hilarious (and useful) wish-items for political reform in the UK, generated by Thomas's audiences during a UK standup tour. At each tour stop, Thomas asked his audience to write out political reforms they'd like to see, and then he'd read them aloud from the stage, riffing on them and letting the audience vote (by cheering) for their favourites. The People's Manifesto
compiles the best of these, with hilarious and trenchant commentary from Thomas.
Here are some examples I quite liked:
- People who allow their dogs to shit on the pavement without cleaning it up should be forced to wear it as a mustache
- MPs should not paid wages but loans, like students, because they get highly paid jobs after they graduate from Westminster as a result of attending Parliament. They should therefore pay back the loan they got while in office.
- There should be a maximum wage ("anyone who says they will leave [as a result of this policy] and then doesn't can be sued for breach of contract")
- If MPs want a second job in order to gain a greater understanding of life outside government, then their constituents should choose which job would best expand their MPs' horizons [note: in the UK, MPs routinely hold one or more high-paying, demanding job in addition to drawing a salary as an MP, some of these MPs miss up to 92 percent of votes in Parliament]
- Politicians should have to wear tabards displaying the names and logos of the companies with whom they have a financial relationship, like a racing driver ("They should be forced to sing the company's jingle when they stand up in the Chamber")
- Those in favor of ID cards should be banned from having curtains
There's a lot to these -- they're not just funny, many of them are eminently sensible. Like the dog-shit one.
The People's Manifesto
This amazingly handy website pretty much holds your digital hand through the process of calling your representatives. Take five minutes, call your reps. 5 Calls
Disney today released two new clips and a new little featurette from the studio’s upcoming live action film “The Jungle Book.” I’m also loving the stunning poster art for the new film by Vincent Aseo, shown above in detail and below in full.
Evan from Fight for the Future writes, “Speaker of the House Paul Ryan is trying to use a Congressional loophole to push through two attacks on our Internet freedom in the ‘omnibus’ must-pass budget bill that Congress is expected to file tonight. He wants to include the final version of CISA which has been completely […]
Between election hacks, ransomware, and Devil’s Ivy, the cybersecurity space is booming as malware and hackers become more sophisticated. If you’re interested in pursuing a career in ethical hacking, or just want to secure your own devices, The Super-Sized Ethical Hacking Bundle is a great resource.In this bundle, you’ll learn the fundamental skills of ethical hacking, prepare […]
The TREBLAB X11 Earphones are versatile, offer great sound, and are currently $32.99 in the Boing Boing Store.These Bluetooth earbuds are a great workout companion. They’re totally sweat proof and their ear-fins keep them snugly in place during high activity — something that Apple’s AirPods can only do if you were blessed with precisely the […]
Whether you’re a seasoned entertainment industry veteran or a student working on your first spec script, having the right tool for the job will make a huge difference in your focus and productivity.Final Draft 10 is far and away the world’s best screenwriting software, used extensively by professional film and TV writers at top production […]