A prominent Houston attorney with a long record of winning settlements from oil companies says he has new evidence suggesting that the Deepwater Horizon's top managers knew of problems with the rig before it exploded last month, causing the worst oil spill in US history. Tony Buzbee, a lawyer representing 15 rig workers and dozens of shrimpers, seafood restaurants, and dock workers, says he has obtained a three-page signed statement from a crew member on the boat that rescued the burning rig's workers. The sailor, who Buzbee refuses to name for fear of costing him his job, was on the ship's bridge when Deepwater Horizon installation manager Jimmy Harrell, a top employee of rig owner Transocean, was speaking with someone in Houston via satellite phone. Buzbee told Mother Jones that, according to this witness account, Harrell was screaming, "Are you fucking happy? Are you fucking happy? The rig's on fire! I told you this was gonna happen.""The rig's on fire! I told you this was gonna happen!"
Whoever was on the other end of the line was apparently trying to calm Harrell down. "I am fucking calm," he went on, according to Buzbee. "You realize the rig is burning?"
At that point, the boat's captain asked Harrell to leave the bridge. It wasn't clear whether Harrell had been talking to Transocean, BP, or someone else.
(Image: US Coast Guard/ZUMApress.com, via Mother Jones)
- BP's spill plan: they knew where it would go.
- BP: "The solution will not be televised" / UPDATED
- BP Disaster: Oil reaches Louisiana marshlands
- BP Goatse
- Report: Obama was biggest recipient of BP political contributions ...
- BP's contributions to Congress dwarf amount received by Obama (and ...
- BP oil spill conspiracy theories
- BP continues kludgey, toxic attempts
- Birds drenched in oil from BP spill: photo gallery
- BP's solution for the spill, chemical dispersants
- Hey gang, Gulf Oil Spill has its very own official BP/US gov ...
- Sign at BP gas station: "Do not leave pumps unattended / You are ...