Dr. Sketchy's Anti-Art School has over 100 branches around the world

17 Responses to “Dr. Sketchy's Anti-Art School has over 100 branches around the world”

1. blueelm says:

I’m a female. Sounds like it’s not a place for me. I’ll stick with regular art school I guess.

2. blueelm says:

That being said if it get’s people drawing that’s great.

3. Mr. Periods says:

If you are in the Kansas City area, Dr. Sketchy’s will be doing a joint event with my band at Czar Bar, 1531 Grand on September 3rd.

4. Tensegrity says:

Hmm, sounds interesting. More diversity in types of art experience and art instruction is inarguably good.

Personally, I am glad for the non-rule-breaking art training I received. I don’t think I would have learned a thing if there’d been performances, eating, drinking, banter. And Sketchy’s seem to favor fashionable gals (of all body types thankfully) but some of the most interesting models I remember were the naked, wrinkly old men. I guess I am just an old-school art ascetic at heart.

• Anonymous says:

I’m going to have to disagree. My art skills improved exponentially through going to Dr. Sketchy for two years, while I consider my four years of art school to have been a complete waste of time and money. You don’t get that kind of enthusiasm, variety, joy, and freedom in a traditional classroom. Group boozing and mouth wateringly hot, creative models help way more than you’d think.

5. Caroline says:

Are there hot guys modeling, too? Or is it just for people who like to look at women?

I’ve got no problem with hot women, but a little equal time for those of us who like men would be nice, if we’re going to have sexy figure-drawing class.

• Mark Frauenfelder says:

“Are there hot guys modeling, too?”

Yes, there are male models at Dr. Sketchy’s but not as frequently as female models. Molly might have actual numbers of male models vs. female models.

6. knoxblox says:

I love the idea, but I prefer to work in a Sargent-esque style. Easel next to the model, while standing several feet away to observe, then running up to the easel to apply any strokes.
    After spilling a few drinks in the laps of other artists, I’d probably get tossed out on my can.

7. _nemo_ says:

That is a thing of beauty and delight.

I really need to check out the Asheville branch. It’s practically in my backyard.

8. mollycrabapple says:

Thank you so so much for the writeup and the continual support! You guys rock!

One quick correction- Dr. Sketchy’s was founded in 2005, not 1995. While I was pretty precocious, I wasn’t entrepreneurial enough to start a Dr. Sketchy’s at 12

9. mollycrabapple says:

Hi Caroline,

We do indeed hire hot guys of all stripes, skills and orientations, but not nearly as frequently as the ladies. My personal preference is guys as well, but its my sad experience that they attract a much, much smaller crowd than female models, and, as we’re funded by ticket sales, that means I can’t book them as much. What I generally do with guys is pair them with girls- we just did a stellar Master and Margarita session in New York with one female model and two male models (one 6 feet tall, and one 3.5 feet tall)

On exception to the “less male models” rule is our Dr. Sketchy’s Boston, which is deeply rooted in the city’s queer community and which has a bunch of amazing male and genderqueer performers posing. Boston rocks it!

10. freshacconci says:

In my experience, whenever someone describes themselves as “rule-breaking” they tend to be far from it.

• Mark Frauenfelder says:

Compared to a traditional figure drawing session, a Dr. Sketchy’s session is rule-breaking. There are performances, lots of eating and a little drinking, and plenty of banter between the models and the artists.

11. adamnvillani says:

How exactly is it anti-art? Or is it just anti-(art school)?

12. Pantograph says:

Still no branch near me. One more reason to move to Berlin.