Spreading the Word About New Anime Through Cosplay

12 Responses to “Spreading the Word About New Anime Through Cosplay”

1. rootboy says:

I’m married to a cosplayer and let her dress me up like a doll at anime cons from time to time. It’s fun but I don’t make the costumes myself.

It’s true that seeing a crowd of people from a show we haven’t heard of makes us interested in the show – “let’s see what they’re so excited about” – etc.

But also, a show popular with cosplayers is not necessarily a show popular with all fans. If only because not all shows provide good costumes. If everyone’s just wearing regular clothes it sucks a lot of the fun out of it.

Also, I think core anime fans are watching fansubs of things ahead of the time licensed versions make it to the US. So in a sense by the time they’re marketed over here they’re already a bit over the hill.

Cosplay and other kinds of extreme fan activism are definitely the future, and should be taken very seriously by the producers of entertainment material. I hope to see the art form mutate further to the point where cosplayers are creating original characters that recognizably fit into imaginary universes.

[tlr]

3. RamenRider says:

Modern anime is so terrible. New anime watchers just don’t understand that. They just think that if it’s new and popular it’s automatically good. They just see that it’s more colorful and flashy that’s the only reason they need to just watch it.

Mainstream anime such as this one are just cash cows. They just do it for the money and they put more money into advertising than making the anime itself.

Cosplay? It makes is sound like some strange fetish. In my day people used to dress up like Elvis and we called fancy dress. Fancy!

5. Apreche says:

This is too true, and it’s often surprising that the actual anime publishers just don’t get it.

My friends and I can almost always predict what shows will be the most cosplayed. Yet, the shows that the companies are heavily marketing are almost never the shows that are popular at that moment. They’re usually a year late, and the shows have switched out. Why don’t the companies know what we know?

I get the feeling that the shows that are cosplayed heavily might not actually be all that popular. They just happen to appeal to a small and very vocal and conspicuous minority. Meanwhile, there are shows that get far more sales that have almost no cosplay or conspicuous fandom. Afro Samurai comes to mind.

• Liz Ohanesian says:

I think the animes that are cosplayed heavily hold a certain amount of weight within the anime fandom, but may not necessarily have the appeal to people outside of the con setting. For example, I can’t imagine Ouran High School Host club appealing to people who aren’t already heavily into anime. There are way too many anime insider jokes in it to appeal to a larger audience.

Something like Afro Samurai, though, I think might be significantly more popular because it has that sort of crossover appeal, similar to Cowboy Bebop. It’s one of those series where there’s a chance that even your friends who aren’t into anime at all will like it.

6. blueelm says:

I will admit to knowing next to nothing about anime, and being completely removed from cosplay.

But I have to say I love the pic for this article. So I guess it does work because now I’m curious about it!

7. Donald Petersen says:

Them’s some unforgiving catsuits. Big thumbs-up to the shameless tarts… er, fearless souls who’ll wear ‘em in public, helmet or no.

I bet I know less about anime and cosplay than even blueelm above, but I’m curious: which of the five has reproduced the character most accurately?

8. Daemon says:

Following the fansub community is your best bet, even if you don’t actually download the fansubs.

OK, I admit my ignorance. What is the group in the picture with this posting portraying? I don’t recognize them.