Parasitic fungus controls ants

13 Responses to “Parasitic fungus controls ants”

1. hassenpfeffer says:

And this differs from the relationship between the defense industry and our current military deployments how?

Have they identified this as a strain of agrobacterium???… That stuff is in the chemtrail spray. It causes Morgellon’s Disease and does the same thing to humans.

3. Chrs says:

This a lot like how people with an idea will grab hold of an inappropriate metaphor and refuse to let it go.

Sounds like my marriage…

5. pKp says:

Here is a highly accurate graphical representation of the life-cycle of a different parasite (Dicrocoelium dentriticum) with the same MO

• Lookforthewoman says:

I said that on the submitterator side too! :)

I guess our comments don’t follow us over here from over there? Boo-urns!

6. sg1969 says:

I remember seeign somehting like this (maybe not the exact thing) in one of Attenborough’s older series I think.
    ALso reminds me of the bird parasite that infects snails, controls them to get them some place high, and make the snail’s eyes bulge out so that birds notice and eat the parasite. Crazy stuff!

7. Brainspore says:

Why is everybody looking at me like that?

8. AirPillo says:

#1, and then #2! A zinger coupled with irony!

I was delighted!

9. millionpoems says:

Read somewhere or other that a particular puffball cordyceps times the swelling of the ant’s head with fungus spores so that it doesn’t explode until the ant has reached the top of the canopy.

10. derivadow says:

Here’s a video clip from Planet Earth of the parasitic cordyceps sending its victims mad before erupting from their bodies.

11. MadRat says:

I remember the novel Hothouse / The Long Afternoon of Earth / The Sun is Dying (it had several versions and titles) by Brian Aldiss had an intelligent, symbiotic fungus named The Morel. The Morel didn’t exactly take over your mind, it’s more like they/it attached to your body and spoke to you telepathically. This story made me wonder if that’s where Aldiss got the idea.