15 Responses to “Koko Be Good: complex and satisfying graphic novel about finding meaning in lifecomplex”

1. Doctor Popular says:

Jen will be having her graphic novel release party at Mission Comics in SF on Setpember 17th.
    Details here http://blog.missioncomicsandart.com/2010/09/koko-be-good-book-release-party-friday.html

2. PeaceNerd says:

Interested to know how Koko B. Ware fits into the plot.

3. oxrs says:

Seeing as it’s not available for two weeks, is there another you would particularly recommend checking out from FirstSecond’s collection? For the uninitiated who probably only has the opportunity to read one in the immediate future.

4. Sunday Artist says:

I did not know Jen Wangs, but I do like the themes.

In another graphic style, a story about the complexity of living, but with some darker overtones, Locals, by Bryan Wood and Ryan Kelly (Onipress). _Locals_ is a compelling graphic novel about a nomadic girl searching for she-doesn’t-even-know, and we follow her from one city to another, over twelve years.

Oh. My. God. Thanks so much for sharing this! Ten years ago I fell in love with a very imaginative and beautifully drawn online comic called Strings of Fate which went unfinished after just a few chapters. I loved the style, and always wondered where the creator got to! Turns out this is her! Yay! I am so buying this. And stalking her XD. Her style is so fun and warm!

• AndrDrew says:

Ah! Glad I am not the only one to remember Strings of Fate. It was gorgeous, and I am sad it eventually got taken down (Though I don’t know how the author intended to write her way out of the Prawn Invasion). I recognized the art-style here right away.

6. Rayonic says:

Is she peeing in that fountain?

An early commenter wondered what books to published by first second would be recommended by other readers. My favorite is Gus and the Gang, a Western/romance/crime/buddy comic by French artist Christophe Blain (translated to English, necessarily, as I don’t know a lick of French.) Comics as a medium would justified by that publication alone, as far as I’m concerned.

8. Avram / Moderator says:

Yay Jen Wang!

9. tsm_sf says:

When was the last time the Zeitgeist had live music? Or am I thinking of the Kilowatt? It’s all starting to fade…

Return to me O Youth!

10. Clifton says:

I really love her artwork – I became a fan browsing the gallery up on her website.

Try this one, for example:

There’s something about the flowing brush style in her lines that’s just lovely.